The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,439
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
The previous owner told me my 66 truck with 8 bolt pattern originally came with 16 split rims.He put 15 inch steel on instead.
Is this the truth? if so can you get 16 steel rims for it?
just hoping to keep as original as i can.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
None that I know of.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
My first truck was a 1966 C30, and it had 8 lug 16 inch steel rims. They worked out fine for me.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by Doug 57
My first truck was a 1966 C30, and it had 8 lug 16 inch steel rims. They worked out fine for me.

When I said none that I know of I meant that about 16" split rims.

Were your wheels just 16" or were they also split rims?

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
My '64 C-30 had 16 Inch "Split" Dual Rear Wheel Rims. They were a 1-Piece Wheel with an Outside Ring (when the wheel was facing towards you, fronts for example).


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
I also had a '64 GMC 3/4 Ton with 15 Inch "Splits" with an Outside Ring.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by 32vld
[quote=Doug 57]When I said none that I know of I meant that about 16" split rims.

Were your wheels just 16" or were they also split rims?

When I bought the truck, it had 16 inch steel rims from a more recent model. The spare was mounted on a 17 inch split rim. I would assume that that 1966 C30 originally had the 17 inch split rims.

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 13
There is a lot of confusion about "split rims".
usually when people refer to them they are talking about the old widow maker 2 piece wheels that are split nearly in the center of the wheel. They were known for not locking together and blowing up after they started to rust.

What your truck most likely came with was a wheel with a locking ring. The locking rings really only held the tire on the one piece wheel.

There used to be a pretty good article about the difference on this site (check big bolts section?)

Jim


52 Chevy tin woody with a stovebolt
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
D
Don Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
The wheels you are talking about are called [BUDD RIMS] I have a set on my 62 Pickup.
62blue
Don


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0