The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (mick53, 55shaker, Peggy M, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MickeyP, homer52, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,137
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1108968 06/18/2015 6:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
Can anyone shed any light on the following?

1. What type of Jack (bottle or bumper) came from Chevrolet on 1946 1/2 ton pickups?

2. Where was this Jack physically stored in the truck?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
From my research, I have come up with the following Jack & Tool Kit for the 1946 1/2 ton truck.

Jack & Tool Kit
Harold
drive


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
Bottle Jack...thought so! Thanks for the photos.

Assuming that it was stowed somewhere inside the truck cab, but where? Any thoughts?

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Yes, bottle jack, except instead of the now more typical hydraulic operated type it used a folding crank handle to turn a large screw to extend the lift point. I've tried using mine and can say the new stuff is far more practical. I keep the old only for display.

The smaller tools were stored in a canvase bag and all the collection was essentially loose behind the seat. Rattle, shake, cling, clang, thump and more rattle .... oh what fun!

Last edited by 46Sparky; 06/19/2015 12:46 AM.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Check eBay under "Vintage Bottle Jack"
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
Thanks all for the replies.

I would like to locate both a jack and tool kit for display purposes only, completing all aspects of my 1946 truck. I will continue to to "keep my eyes open".

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
The smaller tools were stored in a canvase bag and all the collection was essentially loose behind the seat. Rattle, shake, cling, clang, thump and more rattle .... oh what fun!


Don't forget about the hand crank too. Im not sure if the jack would fix behind the seat, the one I got is much too bulky, its a bottle style with a T handle on top that doubles as a hub cap remover tool and a lug wrench too

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Can you post a link to a photo of the jack and handle? I'm uncertain now the one I have is year correct. Thanks.

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
Yeah, but it'll be awhile I'm out of state for a bit

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173


OK, so I found one searching on Ebay (but its missing the handle part with the hubcap puller/lug wrench combo) I got mine from a shop that specialized in antique car tools and they have very well documented database. From stuff I bought from them in the past they were spot on with the tool markings I have researched, so I feel pretty confident this is the right jack for 1940 but maybe someone else can clarify.

My only problem all of these antique jacks is that most of them are barely tall enough to jack up the axles on my 1-ton...so if I were to change a flat 60 years ago, I'd almost have to carry a couple blocks of wood around with me too. Not like any of that would matter anyway bcs my truck never came with a spare tire from the factory, only the rim fits in my tire carrier....unless I'm missing something that seams pretty silly. How will carrying an extra steel rim help me any!?

Last edited by cletis; 06/25/2015 6:34 PM. Reason: deleted Ebay link
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
What's the name of the shop where you acquired yours?

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
I can't remember the name but they are a vender that goes to Hershey AACA meet, I know that dosent help much

If you interested PM me the last week of September and I'll see if I can help ya out the show is first week of October


Last edited by heavy40chevy; 06/25/2015 3:59 PM.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I have a couple of these little jacks and use them quite a bit around the shop. DO NOT use while working under anything, not very stable. What I do like is the long folding handle, makes it easy to slide the jack way under there vs crawling around. Also I think they must have been used for many years as they are always around and cheap at swap meets.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0