The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Hanlon, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, UtahYork, dt235sd, Ponchogl), 115 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,130
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1108915 06/18/2015 6:07 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
Have a 216 in line 6. Positive ground 6 volt system. Started and ran, albeit rough, prior to "fix" - replacing points, plugs, plug wires, rotor, coil, and distributor cap.

Put new ground on battery and new terminal end on "hot" neg wire. Cleaned all ends. I seem to get spark to points and spark to plugs. I have firing order as 153624 starting clockwise from under the right side clip on distributor.

Cranks but no sign of firing, even with the evil starter fluid. It's getting gas. Battery is fully charged and new but it wears down pretty quickly.

Other than my incompetence, any ideas re the culprit?
Can I jump with my car to hep get it fired?

Thoughts??? Thanks!!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
A 1938 Chevrolet would have a negative ground electrical system (GMC had a positive ground electrical system).

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1938/38csm243.html

You will also need to polarize your generator (look at NOTE on this page).

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Tim, you'll know this better than I. If he connected a Chevy with positive ground would it fry the coil?


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
ohwell

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I don't think reversing polarity on a Chevy will fry the coil. I have been told by a couple of engineers that the voltage out of the coil will be somewhat less but the vehicle could/should run.

When I got my COE, the previous owner had reversed polarity with no apparent permanent ill effects.

My Diamond T is positive ground, and when I had a senior moment and installed the battery with negative ground, I fried the original voltage regulator (Autolite type). I guess a Delco-Remy regulator can work with positive or negative ground.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
Thanks to you both!!! I'll flip the battery, re-polarize the generator and see what happens. I'll bring a new coil just in case.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0