| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,326 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 | I have just installed a 3.54:1 ring and pinion gear set in a 51 3100. For sanity sake I am looking for opinions on a gear pattern that I believe will work. Pattern1 (Drive side) Pattern2 This is a process that if not done right can get expensive fast. Thanks in advance Walt Williams La Verkin, UT.
Last edited by 54Belair; 06/16/2015 10:19 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 | Close, but no seegar- - - - -the pattern needs to move a little toward the outer diameter of the ring gear. Are you putting the brakes on the pinion flange in any way? I usually have someone wrap a couple of turns of rag around the pinion flange and hold it tight while I turn the ring gear back and forth with a box end wrench on one of the ring gear attaching bolts. It makes for a more distinct wipe on the teeth that way. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 | The pattern is off the edges, but not where I would like it to be. At the moment I do not have any more shims to insert. Do you know where I can get more shims to use here?
Walt
Last edited by 54Belair; 06/17/2015 3:09 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Try moveing the ring gear away from the pinion a couple of notches with the adjusters. Then check it again. It might fall in. It is close now. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |
| |