The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
I'm wondering if other people have experienced this.... I started to take the truck for a Sunday drive and heard a horrible grinding noise from the front end. As it turned out, one of the Huck brake shoe retaining pins had come off. It had fallen to the bottom of the brake drum along with the spring it is inserted through. Looking at it, it seems like a design flaw since the pin only is L shaped where it hooks on the backing plate. Seems like it should be more J shaped. Prior to this, I have not driven the truck much (about 10 miles) since I installed the brake shoes. Did I just not install it correctly? Or has this happened to anyone else?

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
Did you install the correct anchor pin retainers?
Curt


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
From the diagram Curt supplied, the part that is labeled "pin" is what came off. It was OK for 3 or 4 very short trips. Now I'm wondering if this could happen again?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Not if you put the lock on correctly and make sure it's set.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Daves46-I have lots of those Huck parts if you need a pin or anything.

Good luck
Jim


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Jim,
Thanks for the offer - I'll keep it in mind. Seems like this was "user error" on my part.
Thanks,Dave

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think the question is about the retainer that goes through the middle of the little spring on the side of then shoe. It is not about the pin locks.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Daves46pu,
I looked at the ones I am using and some new ones I bought and they are all bent at 90 deg. I don't know why yours came off unless your springs are defective some how.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have an update. The old ones that came off are bent more than 90 deg and my new ones are not. I am not using the new ones because of other problems with them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Thanks truckernix - I was looking at the pins and wondered why they were 90 degrees, seem they should be more.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0