Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,717 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 | I shortened two 216 valve covers to fit over the existing 350 valve covers in my '49, to be held in place with acorn nuts. Now I need some ideas for some yellow script to go on these valve covers, fitting for the 350. I want it to end with "master" similar to the "Thrift master" on the 216s. I just need a new first word. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 | Beast master Anti-thrift master Octo-master
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 |
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Road Master....without the words combined Buick shouldn't holler. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 136 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 136 | I would stay with "Thrift master" or close to it.
Maybe "Thrift master 350" or "350 Thrift master"
Also, how about the original "Thrift master" with a "350" under it.
'53 3100 5-window '57 Mercury Monterey 2-Door Sedan Tim H
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 | I would stay with "Thrift master" or close to it.
Maybe "Thrift master 350" or "350 Thrift master"
Also, how about the original "Thrift master" with a "350" under it. You're right. Maybe the later 235 Thriftmaster script...just subbing 350 in the same font. Never seen this done to a SBC or even thought about it. I'm fairly allergic to V8 conversions, but I'm guessing this will look really cool. Carl, are you painting it stovebolt gray?
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | That must have been a fun project cutting, reshaping, welding, etc. Be sure to show us a few pics! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 | OK, as a big fan of old Buicks, I'm leaning towards Alvin's "Road master" suggestion. I have already painted the engine the dark gray from TheFillingStation.com. The fab work on the valve covers was a blast. I will take some pics and post them soon. Thanks for all of the suggestions and for playing along. I am especially thankful that no one suggested that I am crazy for doing this. I am not, my Mom had me tested, and my 5th grade teacher told her during a special parent/teacher conference, "The good news is that Carl is not retarded. However.." Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 | Have you tested to prove that it's not the Leak-master? 
Last edited by JW51; 06/07/2015 1:24 PM.
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 | Have you tested to prove that it's not the Leak-master?  The shortened 216 covers are ornamental in nature,and fit over the top of the stock 350 valve covers (as indicated in original post). Carl
Last edited by 52Carl; 06/08/2015 3:15 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 | [/quote] The shortened 216 covers are ornamental in nature,and fit over the top of the stock 350 valve covers (as indicated in original post).
Reading was never my thing. Sorry.
This all makes much more sense now. Making these ornamental covers is quite a tin-smithing achievement in its own right. I was envisioning functional covers, which seems like a nearly impossible feat.
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,101 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,101 | Carl, Most of us were probably OK in the fifth grade, but we didn't have old trucks then either. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 128 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 128 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,690 | What did you decide, Carl?
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | We want to see pics! Throbmaster. Its not a Thriftmaster, its not a Jobmaster, its a... | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | You get points for Bravery. Let some old guys with old trucks comment on a label for a valve cover. With "xxxxmaster" as the goal line. Honest attempt, "Work Master" Funny one....See above. I do like the "Road Master". Let us know what you decide. It has been fun.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 | I do like Road Master. I'll add pics after paint. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | Carl, make sure you break it down into two words. Wouldn't want to infringe on any Buick trademarks. Waiting for the photos. Otta be really cool.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Carl, make sure you break it down into two words. Wouldn't want to infringe on any Buick trademarks. Waiting for the photos. Otta be really cool. I'm pretty sure Buick won't be worried about their trademark being used on the valve cover of one custom truck... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | 46gmcpu, as 52Carl marches into court for copyright infringement remember your kind words of encouragement. Better safe than sorry or maybe you guys do things differently in the north country.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,298 | My valve covers will be in one, and my Colt .45 will be in the other, cold, dead hand. That's how we deal the cards around here.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...better to ask forgiveness than permission. I think! Looking forward to the picture. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | When I wanted to engrave the Fenton logo on a cast aluminum valve cover I got from an inliner I called Patrick Dykes to ask what he thought. He told me go for it and would only have an issue if I produced something I intended to sell commercially. I'm not losing sleep worrying about Chevrolet coming after me for the bowties in the sidecover or the script on the air cleaner. PicWaitin' to see your pic's Carl....
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | When I wanted to engrave the Fenton logo on a cast aluminum valve cover I got from an inliner I called Patrick Dykes to ask what he thought. He told me go for it and would only have an issue if I produced something I intended to sell commercially. I'm not losing sleep worrying about Chevrolet coming after me for the bowties in the sidecover or the script on the air cleaner. PicWaitin' to see your pic's Carl.... Exactly. IP (intellectual property, including trademarks) is really not a concern to the owner of the IP if you're not selling it or using it as an advertisement. Let's face it, a multi-billion dollar company doesn't give a crap what you've got on your valve cover, unless you decide to produce and sell said valve covers. | | |
| |