The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 131
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 131
I am in the process of trying to rebuild (rear end rebuild kit as well as 3.55 ring/pinion) a stock rear end for a 1949 chevy 3100 and have just gotten everything torn down.

I have inspected the rear end and was wanting to gather some opinions on some damage to the differential case on the bearing surface where the side gears and differential pinion gears ride. I apologize if this is not the correct terminology (trying to gather it from the factory rebuild slideshow). There is a ring of heavy damage on the outer flat bearing surface where one of the gears rides. There is a chunk of metal friction welded to the back side of the corresponding gear. Other than this ring the rest of the bearing surfaces look good, although there is a small lip on the case bearing surface where one of the spherical bearings ride. The gears themselves all look good and have smooth surfaces with the exception of that chunk welded on the backside of that one gear.

Below is a link to the photobucket page containing the photos. I would appreciate opinions on if this case is still usable. Here is the link.

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/1866yellowboy/library/49%20carrier

I also tore down a rear end from a 1951 3100 but the damage to that case looked worse to me. It has pretty heavy scratches on both of the flat bearing surfaces as well as on the backside of the gears themselves. Below is a few pictures of that teardown. Would this be a better option?

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/1866yellowboy/library/51%20carrier


Also with this rebuild I was planning on using the driveshaft (the tube that goes inside the torque tube)from the 1951 as the 1949 driveshaft has severe rust where the lip seal rides. Is this ok? I know it is slightly longer but believe I read they were interchangeable. Lastly is there a source for the lock screw that goes in the spacer/pinion shaft? Mine is damaged from mine and previous owners' teardowns.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am leery of using borderline parts when putting this much money into a rebuild kit and 3.55 ring/pinion. I have been unable to locate a differential case in better condition than the one I have.

Thanks!


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I'd keep looking for a better candidate. With all of the resto-mods going on these days, they are out there. I have one or two that I can't bring myself to scrapping. Wish we lived closer together.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
They have both lived their useful life. I would not waste time, money and effort of putting 3.55 gears in them. As mentioned before, better ones are out there.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I agree with above.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 131
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 131
This is not the news I was hoping you guys would give me but it sounds like it is unanimous.

Thanks to all of you for your opinion. I have started the hunt for a good case and gears. If anyone has any leads please let me know.



Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0