The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Cletus1950, TUTS 59, 3800GUY, Patina 54, Wayne67vert, JW51), 134 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1105975 06/01/2015 11:51 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
I am removing what looks to be an aftermarket sm420 from my 55.1 Chevy. There is still shift linkage on the steering column from an old trans which pointed to aftermarket.

I am removing the trans for service and cannot seem to break it free. I'm sure largely in part due to my ignorance. I have removed the top two bolts but I don't see any others that are holding it on. In a few of the pictures I have pointed out which bolts I have removed in blue, and what looks like there should be bolts in yellow, but there weren't any there.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://goo.gl/photos/AJ7ctgZWQpgvUzcz9


1955.1 Chevy 5 window 3100
Instagram - @1955.1chevy
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
There are two bottom bolts.

Take off the pan that might be under the clutch housing (screws can be reached with a screwdriver through holes in the frame cross-member).

There are two transmission bolts from the lower inside of the clutch housing.

-----

Transmission Removal - steps 9-11

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955truck2/55ctsm0751.htm

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
Thanks Tim!

I was reading the 54 manual which says basically the same thing, but your hint to go through the holes in the crossmember (that was caked with about 2 inches of junk) did the trick.

Step 11b should have been: Make sure you have a buddy to help lift it up and out of the truck. It's heavy.

:P

Thanks again!


1955.1 Chevy 5 window 3100
Instagram - @1955.1chevy
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Danthemanmj23,

I did not know/think about those holes until reading about them, here.

Regarding the need for a buddy: when I was much younger, I used to install remove the SM420 by myself from below ("by hand"). I do not now believe that I was able to do that.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Tim,
don't they call that young and foolish!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I had it easy with my SM420 removal and installation. I borrowed a tranny lift from a friend. It had pitch, yaw and roll adjustments which made it really, really nice for lining up on installation.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I call it: I wish I was young, again.

Actually, I get hernias - in the early 70s (my early 20s) I bought a cheapo K-Mart (pre-Harbor-Freight) floor jack for lifting air-cooled VW engines.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Heres tha way I took it out:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/120660807/large
Heres the way I put it in:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/137545906/large

Those day of pressing 135lbs are long gone at the Graham garage.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
Goodness sakes that is some engineering Denny! Awesome!

I can tell those days for me are coming faster and faster, and I'm only 27...


1955.1 Chevy 5 window 3100
Instagram - @1955.1chevy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
You ain't even come close to hitting your prime Dan, at 27 I was
still trying to figure out who I was and what direction I
wanted life to take me. Oh, and what you will learn in the next
fifty years will amaze you when you look back on it.

That SM420 swap was very popular back in the day. Your 3-speed
obviously was swapped out for the 4-speed. But that transmission
was also an option from the factory and there are many 3100
trucks which originally had an SM420 in them at delivery.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
I swapped my 3speed for the SM420 by myself too... after taking out the three speed I thought putting the SM420 by myself would be a piece of cake... not so much... I was sore for days! And I was only 23 at the time!!

Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1
R
Moderated
Moderated
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1
You think it is hard at 23, you should try it at 75! I managed with a transmission jack. The hard part was trying to keep it from tipping on the jack since the sm420 doesn’t have a flat bottom. I got it with my second try. I am a bit sore today, a lot sore I should say.

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Just to let you and others know, you posted on a thread that is eight years old!

Last edited by Phak1; 10/22/2023 12:41 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0