Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,422 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 35 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2015 Posts: 35 | I recently had a 1948 3800 Flat-Bed donated to me by my aunt and uncle. It is definitely a project but not in terrible shape overall. Where is a good place to find parts for these bigger trucks (right now I know I need a back window, tail lights, and a brake master cylinder)? I have used LMC Truck for my F-100 but that's the only one I have much experience with that isn't Ford specific. How compatible are things from smaller trucks (3/4-ton, etc.)? What would be a modern replacement for the split-rim wheels and bias-ply tires on these? What is the bolt pattern on the wheels? Here are a few pictures: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzXHTUJx2QYoTjY4LUFYSVkwdmM/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzXHTUJx2QYoNmlGUF9ZTURFeXc/view?usp=sharing
Aaron V. 1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd 1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd 1970 Ford F100 390/4-spd 1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4 2004 Honda Shadow 1100
"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it᠁thanks Mario Kart."
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That looks like a 48 model 3800 series 1 ton to me. A 4100 series 1 1/2 ton would have 20"in. wheels, & a channel type bumper, instead of the pickup style bumper your truck has. What info. is on the ID plate, in the driver door jamb. I've used Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts for over 30 yrs. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 | Aaron, That is a good looking truck. Welcome to the SB. Lots of great people and very good information.
Jim Carter and American Classic Truck Parts are decent to get parts from.
You should read the first to post in the Big Bolts forum about wheels and tires and brakes. Grig has done a wonderful job of gathering information and sharing his knowledge.
I'm sure lots of things going through your mind about what and were to start.
I would put things in this order...
-Make it stop. Doesn't matter if it runs, if it can't stop you really shouldn't go any further -Tires. Make sure you look at the wheel article and don't do any work to the RH-5 wheels. -Go through the fuel system. Clean tank, new fuel lines (metal and rubber), new fuel pump, carb kit, etc. -Change all fluids. It would be a good time to have the radiator checked by a shop. Maybe a new water pump if it's been sitting for many years -Electrical. Look into a new harness if it has the original. You could spend years fighting an old harness or put a new one in and be done. Maybe upgrade to 12 volt.
Then you can work on the other things.
If your 48 is anything like my 46 some of the parts are compatible. Cab, doors, grill are the same, but running boards and fenders are different. Engine is close to the same, but axles, brakes, etc. are bigger.
Good luck and take your time!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | Your back window would be the same as any other size of truck, because they all used the same cab. Fenders, grilles etc. would be different for the larger trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 35 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2015 Posts: 35 | That looks like a 48 model 3800 series 1 ton to me. A 4100 series 1 1/2 ton would have 20"in. wheels, & a channel type bumper, instead of the pickup style bumper your truck has. What info. is on the ID plate, in the driver door jamb. I've used Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts for over 30 yrs. You are correct, I just got the chance to check the 'vin' and it is, in fact a 3800. I said 4100 based on what was told to me and the fact that it had the DRW (not the first time I've been wrong, thanks for the identification tidbits!) Aaron, That is a good looking truck. Welcome to the SB. Lots of great people and very good information.
Jim Carter and American Classic Truck Parts are decent to get parts from.
You should read the first to post in the Big Bolts forum about wheels and tires and brakes. Grig has done a wonderful job of gathering information and sharing his knowledge.
I'm sure lots of things going through your mind about what and were to start.
I would put things in this order...
-Make it stop. Doesn't matter if it runs, if it can't stop you really shouldn't go any further -Tires. Make sure you look at the wheel article and don't do any work to the RH-5 wheels. -Go through the fuel system. Clean tank, new fuel lines (metal and rubber), new fuel pump, carb kit, etc. -Change all fluids. It would be a good time to have the radiator checked by a shop. Maybe a new water pump if it's been sitting for many years -Electrical. Look into a new harness if it has the original. You could spend years fighting an old harness or put a new one in and be done. Maybe upgrade to 12 volt.
Then you can work on the other things.
If your 48 is anything like my 46 some of the parts are compatible. Cab, doors, grill are the same, but running boards and fenders are different. Engine is close to the same, but axles, brakes, etc. are bigger.
Good luck and take your time! That pretty much sounds like my list, hauling it home ended up using the far left pedal instead of the middle one in loading/unloading so that is certainly going to be step 1. Thanks for all the tips and information so far, I am looking forward to getting working on this!
Aaron V. 1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd 1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd 1970 Ford F100 390/4-spd 1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4 2004 Honda Shadow 1100
"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it᠁thanks Mario Kart."
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | It looks like 18" wheels, 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern, there are some 18" tires(China I believe) out there. 17" tubeless tires and wheels off a modern dually would be an option.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I have a 250 GMC which also has the 18" wheels. I recently found a set of NOS Nylon Bias 700x18 by doing a search on this site. http://www.adhuntr.com/All kinds of weird stuff can be found all over the US on that site. And since I have been in the trucking business for over 51 years, I can usually figure out on how to get stuff moved. And nylon tires don't blow out with age like radials. As long as they are either not mounted in a warehouse or mounted and kept inflated, they are still fine. | | |
| |