Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Tiny, 2 invisible),
100
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,478 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | The handle which actuates the cowl vent on my 54 cab will not budge. Must have been installed by a union negotiator. I have disconnected the arms to determine if it is the top portion or the bottom portion that is inoperable and have have confirmed the bottom is the problem.
How is this supposed to function? Pull up-push down - turn it all around? If you had this problem how did you solve it other than sealing the vent? I think the vent is cool and would like to retain it. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 264 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 264 | I got rid of that vent. It was badly rusted and looked like a real leak source. Since I was going to put in ac, I felt no need for this vent. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Thanks Larry, I will start the oiling process tonight. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | On my 51, I cut off the nuts to get the unit out, then I used heat to loosen the mechanism. It seems to me that part of it remained in the cab, and I used "Fluid Film" on that part. When I put it back together, I used brass nuts. It works fine now. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 175 | The upper hinges were frozen on mine and took a lot of penetrating oil and slowly moving them back and forth and now they work pretty well. The lower one is a spring loaded ball and detente arrangement and I don't think it comes apart and probably a steady soak in Kroil or PB Blaster is your only option. Good luck | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I took mine out and oiled everything up; tightened everything up; put a new vent gasket in, and it's working beautifully.
I have AC, too ... but I love using the cowl vent. Not only do I think it looks really cool in the open position, but it sure gives a real nice air flow inside the cab!
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | Nice pics Larry! I do all my high speed (65-75mph) highway driving with the windows closed and both vents wide open, cool ventilation and much quieter than windows open.
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I have succeded in getting the mechanism to function. Just took some machine oil treatments and a small pry bar to work it loose. Thanks for the help. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | That's great! I luv it when a plan comes together! | | |
| |