The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Steelonsteel, GRNHydra, WICruiser, 51sub, Wally / Montana, 55shaker, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110078 05/26/2004 7:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The handle which actuates the cowl vent on my 54 cab will not budge. Must have been installed by a union negotiator. I have disconnected the arms to determine if it is the top portion or the bottom portion that is inoperable and have have confirmed the bottom is the problem.

How is this supposed to function? Pull up-push down - turn it all around? If you had this problem how did you solve it other than sealing the vent? I think the vent is cool and would like to retain it.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
I got rid of that vent. It was badly rusted and looked like a real leak source. Since I was going to put in ac, I felt no need for this vent.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Here's four shots of the cowl vent from closed to full open

[img]http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2004/cowlvent1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2004/cowlvent2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2004/cowlvent3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2004/cowlvent4.jpg[/img]

liberal doses of penetrating oil over time may get it working again.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Larry, I will start the oiling process tonight.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
On my 51, I cut off the nuts to get the unit out, then I used heat to loosen the mechanism. It seems to me that part of it remained in the cab, and I used "Fluid Film" on that part. When I put it back together, I used brass nuts. It works fine now.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
The upper hinges were frozen on mine and took a lot of penetrating oil and slowly moving them back and forth and now they work pretty well. The lower one is a spring loaded ball and detente arrangement and I don't think it comes apart and probably a steady soak in Kroil or PB Blaster is your only option. Good luck

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I took mine out and oiled everything up; tightened everything up; put a new vent gasket in, and it's working beautifully.

I have AC, too ... but I love using the cowl vent. Not only do I think it looks really cool in the open position, but it sure gives a real nice air flow inside the cab!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Nice pics Larry! I do all my high speed (65-75mph) highway driving with the windows closed and both vents wide open, cool ventilation and much quieter than windows open.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have succeded in getting the mechanism to function. Just took some machine oil treatments and a small pry bar to work it loose. Thanks for the help.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
That's great! I luv it when a plan comes together!


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0