Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, tclederman, klhansen, KEVINSKI, StevenO, 55shaker),
122
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 | I build bikes, but I happened on a 37 Chevy pickup sitting under a tarp since 1952, Bought it on the spot with no idea of value. Everything is original, including the tires. The boards in the bed still have the varnish on them. I have no idea what to do with it. On the trip home, the paint on the fenders started to blow off. Shiny bare metal underneath.
People are telling me not to repaint it. Why not? Looks crappy now. Putting new battery in it today and changing fluids. Will crank it tomorrow (raining here). Anything I should watch out for in this process?
Jim | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | DO NOT PUT GAS IN THE TANK. Disconnect the original-equipment fuel system and run the engine on an auxiliary tank like one for an outboard motor, etc. Stale gasoline (or residue from evaporated gas) will cause the valve guides to seize up and bend pushrods, etc.
Before trying to do a startup, remove the spark plugs and squirt a couple of tablespoons of oil into each cylinder. The roll the engine over by hand or put the truck in 3rd. gear and gently roll it forward to spread the oil and prevent breaking the piston rings. etc. If the engine is locked up, do whatever is necessary to free it up before forcing anything. Fresh points, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, etc. is a very good idea. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,123 | If it is as described, PLEASE, before you do anything to it take photos from every angle from every position fore to aft top to bottom, inside and out, engine bay included, and even after the floor board is removed and post them on a photo host site with a link to the Stovebolt. An untold number of restoration guys will be forever in your debt. When you get to the repairs take photos of the before, steps in between as the parts are removed and of course a final. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 | I will put Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and use non-ethanol gasoline. Will put Rotella 10W-50W oil in the crankcase. I have to weld a bottom strap on the battery box first. There was a new replacement that came with the truck, but the old one is riveted on. There is nothing else to repair except a broken tag bracket (done while loading onto trailer).
I am missing the little cover that goes on top of the coil, and for some reason that bugs me. I don't need another hobby, but I like this little truck. It needs a heater for sure (Harrison?). I don't have new points, etc, so I will regap the old ones after filing.
I will post pictures tomorrow when it quits raining. I hope I do it all correctly. I would hate to damage the engine in any way. The engine is free. I hate to work on it, as it appears no wrench has touched any bolt or screw on it.
The tires are Allstate by brand and look like new ones. No dry rot evident to the eye. Does that make sense for original tires? Paint is still on the rim edges.
The window regulators work like new with ease, as did the windshield opener. Everything is free. The truck had not been rained on since 1950 until last night.
How does one post pictures on this forum?
Jim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Jim, you wouldn't have happened to buy the one in Gaffney that I saw listed on Craiglist, did you?? I've been out of town but was hoping to get down there and look at it since Gaffney is my hometown and I still go there very often. Congrats on the pickup. The 37 is a sharp looking model......yeah, I'm a little bias in my opinion  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 | I did indeed buy the one in Gaffney. It was better than advertised.
Jim
Last edited by cletis; 04/27/2015 5:20 AM. Reason: deleted off topic content.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | Since some of our overseas members pay a BIG premium for bandwidth, photos need to be hosted to an off-site carrier, and a link posted so they don't show up unless selected. I use a free host site called "Hunt101.com", and a lot of folks use Photobucket. Upload your pics to your host site and include a link in your post so people can choose whether or not to view them. For instance: http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/voices.jpgJerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Since you live in a somewhat moist climate, make sure the rockers are not frozen(rust), bent pushrods will result.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Jim, I saw that truck advertised and shared the link with a friend. Alvin knows who I'm refering to. Anyway, it looks like a fantastic truck. Well worth the investment. Congratulations. I use photobucket to upload pictures. Once you have them uploaded to Photobucket, you can post the link to your photobucket album so other folks can find the pics anytime they want to look. Very easy.
Last edited by Lugnutz; 04/29/2015 3:33 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 21 | Update. Engine turns freely with hand crank. Rust in fuel. Coil is dead. Electrolock cap is missing, bought a new one as well as a new coil. Took starter off to inspect while waiting for coil. Starter switch is worn out, bought a new one. Dollars are mounting up and flying out the door. No accessory oil filter, need one. I realize now that cranking an old truck isn't so simple nor easy on the wallet. Storm blew roof off my shop, so I am working under a pecan tree and it is going to rain today.
I just love the smell of that old truck. I am freaking hooked like a bush hooked cat.
Jim | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,123 | If it's the 216 engine and you want to save a few bucks, for now, the filter is unnecessary. These old engines didn't have them and ran just fine without. But, oil changes were more frequent than modern engines typically need. | | |
| |