Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53),
236
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,172 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 43 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 43 | After pulling the axles on my '53 3100 1/2 ton, I noticed a shallow groove on each bearing where the bearing or seal would ride. I took them to let my mechanic look at them and he said to install axle saver bearings. What do you guys think about this? Anyone here used them? Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I have only heard of this, never seen a set, but you can also use a speedi sleeve. Its a stainless sleeve that very tightly fits over the axle. Its made to give the original seals a nice smooth surface to ride on. Just giving you another possibility.
I have a 1950 and my go-to guy said what yours said. After doing more research, the axle savers weren't available for my axle shaft. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Did the axles have the original leather seals? Sometimes the new style rubber seals ride on a different portion on the axle shaft. I used axle savers on my '69 axles. The didn't leak past the seals any longer. Now they leak around the o-ring on the outside of the axle saver! Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | No, Denny, I am the one advocating to use a Speedi Sleeve. But the last ones I got from a jobber were about $48.00 each. I am sure you guys can do better than I did. They work great but they are tricky to install.
Mine were SKF 99187.
The axles used were out of a 55 1st series so open driveline, newer style. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | SKF 99187 - $24.79 from Rockauto
Does anyone know SKF part number for a 1953 axle?
I have used them - they worked on slightly worn axles.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 | I have used them with no problems, solved the worn axle problem.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | You will need to measure your axles to make sure you get the right speedi-sleeve. I had someone else put them on for me. Reason was because in reading about this, you need to put the axle in a freezer for about an hour for best results. My wife would KILL me. They are VERY VERY tight and if they stop in the wrong place, you are screwed. The freezer is good insurance.
Then, you need to know exactly where the sweet spot of that sleeve needs to be. It scared me enough to just pay the $50 to have them installed at a local shop. They did a great job. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The axle saver brgs don't fit these axles. They work on 63 up. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 899 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 899 | If the grove is caused by the axle seal, install a new seal and shim it out a little ways with a piece of wire. So it will seal on a new spot on the axle where there's no groove.
Brian 1955.2 3100 Truck The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | If the grove is caused by the axle seal, install a new seal and shim it out a little ways with a piece of wire. So it will seal on a new spot on the axle where there's no groove. I like that idea right there! Pure farm fix! Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 43 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 43 | Thanks for all the replies. | | |
| |