The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
I need to replace both the Door and Vent Glass on my 1951 2 Ton.

I have the glass and the seals on order.

According to the Shop Manual they recommend that you spray Gas on the seals to soften them to get the glass out of the channels.

Is this really the current best method? Is there so new technology that would make this job easier?

Thanks


Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
I've used mineral spirits.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
I used WD-40, sprayed some along the edges and under the glass at the ends. Seemed to work ok, carefully worked the old glass out. No way I wanted to mess around with gas.

Steve


52 6400
50 3600
69 Ford LTD
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I have used gasoline, kerosene, and diesel fuel, but mineral spirits (or, WD-40) would be much safer.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I use gas. That is what The Book says to do. I think of it as a continuation of a tradition. I'll never forget the first time I read about using GAS! Get out! Gas, really? Cool!
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Gas works the best. That is what I used many years ago (my first time), and that is what I used last summer.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks .all, seems like I have alot of choices here. I may try a couple of different approaches as I have 4 to change out. Thanks for the insights

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
I think gas would work better than about anything else, I know there are safety issues obviously. I have an electric boiler and electric water heater so no open flames in the shop. Guess the big thing for me was I would have to wade thru a snow bank out back to get the gas out of my storage shed. Was surprised the WD-40 worked like it did. I did go by the book installing the new glass, used oil on the setting tape. Works well but makes a mess. I think taking your time is the most important thing.


52 6400
50 3600
69 Ford LTD
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
I have started dis-assembly of the Vents, I am following the Tech tips. Man there are a lot of rivets in this thing. I may try to press my son-in-law into service to help on the glass mounting, He did that for a living before he went in the army.
Thanks again for all the insights.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
A nice heat gun works pretty well too.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
A heat gun huh, well I happen to have a real nice one of those, I can see how that would work. I have no issues with open flames in my shop either. I appreciate all the great tips guys, I will keep you posted.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
Hi Folks-
Just did the door glasses on the '52. Carb cleaner softened the setting right up. Popped out in 3 pieces. (That's where they were shattered, didn't make any new ones!) HTH
Best-
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS


Three Little Words that gets a man in trouble fastest..."Ran when parked"

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0