| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 | Gentleman, I have a 41 - 1/2 Pickup and I have begun working on the steering linkage. Does anyone know if the Drag Link Studs are pressed in? I do not see any welding but I cannot get them out. Also does the arm that is attached to the wheel back plate (with the studs in it) come off? I have taken off the nuts and tried to take out the bolts but they do no turn even with an impact gun and no luck.
Any Help is Appreciated.
Wayne
Wayne Selway
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 | Joe,
I am purchasing new Studs from The Filling Station and they do not appear to be Hour Glass shaped (in the picture) but round also the end of the stud on the are appears to be round, am I missing something?
Wayne.
Wayne Selway
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The holes in my drag link were not hourglass shaped. However there was a slight chamfer underneath where the stud was swaged in place. If you drill that out a little they will press out. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 38 | Any idea how to get the Steering Knuckel arm off? The arm connected to the left wheel drivers side. It has two bolts but they are not moving.
Wayne
Wayne Selway
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | The studs are straight shafted, and the holes are mostly straight, there will be a chamfer on the peened side where the stud is pounded into. It lets the metal expand out bigger then the hole so the stud will not pull through. I used the hour glass as way to describe what the internals look like, greatly exaggerated yes, but still makes the point.
Steering arms are just bolted on, if the bolts don't turn, they are simply rusted in place. You may need to pull the front wheel to drive the rusted bolts out once the nuts are off. | | |
| |
| |