The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, Jon G, Gdads51, dt235sd), 93 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,306
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1090397 03/09/2015 3:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Hello all,
I am looking for a set of original parking light housings for my 1950 GMC. I am a machinist by trade and plan on making a new set of housings out of stainless steel. I need an original to measure. I will make a set of stainless ones for anybody letting me borrow one to copy. i will also sell sets to anyone else interested. I will have a price once I get the first set mocked up.
Thanks,
Ron


1950 Gmc 100
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Hello all,
I got a response from Tim. He was kind enough to send me a housing assembly. I have finished drawing all the parts up in Autodesk Inventor. I was going to post a screen shot of the drawing but couldn't find the file manager to upload the image. I am ready to start making parts. If I can figure out how to upload pics I will post them as I finish parts. I am planning on making a few sets of these. I will be keeping one set for myself and sending a set to Tim for letting me borrow his housing. These will all be made from stainless steel. I will be putting double filament socket in mine so I can have both running lights and turn signals.


1950 Gmc 100
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Ok I think I got the link for the picture right.


GMC parking light housing assembly
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/MOTOXFAMILY1914/6-18-2015%203-07-04%20PM_1.jpg

Last edited by MOTOXFAMILY; 06/18/2015 11:13 PM.

1950 Gmc 100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 168
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 168
The drawing looks great. I bet there would be some interest in your housings over at oldgmctrucks.com forums. Where are you in Nor Cal?


1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe
1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
They are being reproduced already. A bit pricey so you might be able to compete:
http://www.amazon.com/1955-1957-Corvette-Parking-Light-Assembly/dp/B002MREUH8

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
I am in Novato. 1/2 hour north of golden gate bridge. I do have a post over at oldgmctrucks as well.

Last edited by MOTOXFAMILY; 06/19/2015 4:53 PM.

1950 Gmc 100
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
I believe early Corvettes use the same assembly. Another sales option.
Check to verify.


1947 GMC Truck 5 window, Long Bed
2008 Corvette Roadster
2008 Harley Davidson FXDL
2011 F150 Ecoboost 4X4
2015 Subaru Outback AWD
"only the strong survive"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Thanks Bruce, guess I should have clarified that they use
the same assembly.
That was the link that I posted, it's Amazon but the order
goes to Corvette Central. Haven't seen them any cheaper, but
then again I'm not in need and haven't looked all that hard.

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/20/2015 11:56 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The Corvette replacements and the Chevy backup lights will be correct for a '51-'53 GMC. They are not correct for a '47-'50 GMC.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Chevy backup lights use a different mounting gasket than the GMC to compensate for the curve in the Chevy body.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I might be wrong Charlie, you're the expert on the GMC's, but
isn't the earlier Jimmy light the one that is the same as
the Vette? That's the one with the 'Bee-Hive lens and U-shaped
retainer bracket in the back. The later housing is simply
mounted thru the fender with studs and uses a shallower lens?
This is an illustration by Rob English:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/155221077
Corvette Central:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/160519395
dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/23/2015 10:25 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I don't know about the rest of the light, but the p/n for a 47-50 GMC lens is 5936929. That is the same p/n for a Corvette. I'm not sure about the rest of the parts. The illustration Rob copied is directly out of the GMC master parts book.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yes and what little I've studied on the part numbers, that
sounds correct.
Thought I was going to make a killing on casting accurate
reproduction parking light lenses for early Jimmy's a while back:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/155273248
Then I found out every one and his brother was making them
for ten bucks or less. Guess I should have dome my homework
before investing the time and material on mold and resin.

Oh well...........taint like it's the first mistake I've ever made.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0