The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Hush, 1955 1 Series, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost), 227 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,185
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108941 03/16/2002 3:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
Over the next couple months, I would like to strip the interior and parts of the exterior of my '59 that have had way too many coats of paint. Also I want to strip the old clear coat from an old Airstream, so I can polish it. It looks like some of the new water based products, like Zero Rust's Removall would work for both jobs, so I could buy a larger quanty of one product to save money. I have never used strippers for anything like this, so I would like to hear what kind of luck any of you have had, so I could avoid any potential problems.

Thanks

Joe


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
#108942 03/18/2002 12:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
No problems - just don't rush it. I use Aircraft stripper and lay a plastic bag, like a dry cleaners bag, over the top. This traps the volatiles better than the wax that's in the stripper and forces it down into the paint. Cover the ground around your workpiece with masking paper, or something disposable. It's messy. And, at least with the Aircraft stripper, keep a hose handy - burns like heck when you get it on your skin.

#108943 03/18/2002 1:11 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i agree--don't rush it. plasic scraper is all you need to scrape it off. old clothes, and shoes--GOGGLES, and gloves. and most definitely water. bag up the mess and spray the floor to clean. aircraft stripper is good stuff. remember to wash off metal parts with water, dry, and light sand parts before priming. cool

#108944 03/18/2002 9:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 149
I have used paint stripper several times and several differant types. The best and strongest I have found is the KleenStrip in the gold can from Home Depot think its about 12 bucks a gallon. Use a metal scaper it will eat a plastic one. I put it on with a horse hair brush let its sit 30 mins brush on anther coat then take a stiff bristle wire bush to it then scrap it or wash it off with a hose. And dont get it on you cuz it burns! eek


"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#108945 03/19/2002 12:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
I used a 3M paint stripping wheel to strip the paint and undercoating off of my frame and it worked really well. I'd say that, all in all, it was probably not much more labor intensive than chemical stripping.

Ed

#108946 03/19/2002 2:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you put the stripper on cover it so it stays wet. garbage bag does good op plastic wrap.Most times you should try to leave it on for more than 3 hours and keep it wet. You use less stripper this way.I also use the cheap Home Depot stuff,seems to work great but i dont do a lot of customer body work. I make the customer have it blasted(really lucky around here we have the best around,NODAMAGE)

#108947 03/19/2002 3:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it ought be good slimey fun.

Joe


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
#108948 03/19/2002 6:40 PM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Don't forget - VENTILATION!

In addition to slimey burning-your-skin fun, this stuff is pretty bad on the cardio-respiratory system. Not as bad as POR-15, but there is some evidence that a number of guys have croaked of heart attacks while using this stuff.

Just keep the shop door open, and you should be OK. I usually do mine outside, that stuff has some good powerful fumes. :o

-Boyo


'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
#108949 03/19/2002 11:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
Can everyone say Methylene Chloride?
One of the major health hazards in the Aircraft stripper..... Dying applying new $150 a gallon paint because of Isocyanates is one thing. At least it's new & shinney, but why kill yourself taking old worn out paint off when there is a non hazardous product available that doesn't make near the mess??

I make not one thin dime off the Removall water borne stripper sold either on our web site or thru the jobber network so take this info in the spirit offered, and save yourself all the health related grief you can by making smart choices in product purchases.

Bruce Palmer
Salem Or
[email protected]

#108950 03/20/2002 12:09 AM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Heya Bruce - will RemovAll strip off POR-15? smile Serious question...

Also, how does it compare to the orange non-toxic stripper available at Home Depot, etc. Thanks!

-Boyo


'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
#108951 03/20/2002 2:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
On the stripping issue, I don't know, nor do I know about the citrus based product. I'll bet you could maybe talk Irish into contributing a rattle can of Removall in the name of science. Go to [email protected] and do your best email whine and I'll back you up.....

I do know that the parent company that makes the Removall has gradations for stripping paint from bridges which can be similar finish families to POR.

I just can't get over how clean this stuff works. It soaks thru the film, offgasses O2 and lifts the finish in curly little sections vs the gooey slimey mess of dissolved paint with the Aircraft.

By Garn, they ought to be paying me!!!

Bruce Palmer
Salem Or
[email protected]

#108952 03/20/2002 4:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
Thanks Bruce. Along with being biodegradible, the idea of spraying it on, then pressure washing it off appeals to me. Especially on the Airstream, because I want to avoid using metal scrapers on the aluminum.To use this method, I would have to use something bio-degradable, because it would be likely some of the residue may get into the soil, though I would try to contain it as best I could. Mostly I wanted to hear from someone who had used it so I had an idea of how effective it was. I assume you still need to take the same precautions, ie. rubber gloves, goggles, etc.


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
#108953 03/20/2002 5:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
Of course good safety measures are always in order around chemicals no matter how mild they may be. The Removall barely has any odor at all. Get it on your skin though and it will scare ya to death. It's such a rich oxygenator it'll suck the oil right out of your skin. You will think from the color difference that large chunks will start falling off, but in about 20 minutes the oil is replenished and the patch has disapeared. Just thought ya ought to be aware before ya see it for the first time and make the big wet one!
Cheers....
Bruce Palmer
Salem Or
[email protected]


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0