The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GDW, Gdads51, Shade Baby, Shaffer's1950, 3B, 1 invisible), 143 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,459
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1027922 05/11/2014 8:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Looking for advice and suggestions. I have the hood separated in the middle. The side panels are still attached. My plan is to paint the body color on the inside let that dry, mask the inside, and then paint the outside. I am not sure of the best approach to painting the side hinge points. Do it first or while painting the outside? Also should I assemble the two half's then paint the body color? That's the way I am leaning.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I'd take it all apart. I believe we pulled the rod out of the sides to separate that hinge. You can chuck that rod in a drill and get it started coming out. If you are painting same color inside and out I'd spray it all at same time. Also inspect along the edges of the hood for cracks, we missed a few.
Good luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
I would keep the hood all together, and spray all edges, hinges and seams first. Then you can paint the rest of the hood all as one piece and get more consistent colour. It is one of the main focal points on the front of the truck, after all.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Any follow up info as to what was done and how it turned out? Need to do this step soon too and sure would like to learn from worked best and what didn't.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
I split my hood and painted inside black and outside body color. A couple of inside black areas pulled off with tape. If I did over I'd consider one color in and out. My 2 pennies
Dan

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I will be painting my hood this week. I pulled the rods out and ordered some stainless rod to go back in. I will see how things lay as to if I can paint inside and out all in one shot. I do a fair amount restoration work and paint work in general. The most important thing to me is to always paint the panel in the way it will be installed on the vehicle. This is more important with metallics, but I have got in that habit early on.

I will report back as to how the hood panels can be set up to paint both sides at once... It's been a few weeks since I looked at them.


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Just a quick note.
The inside and outside of the hood was painted body color from the factory.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0