Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,271 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | I'm not sure if I should put this in the 'spoon or not, but I'd like a pair of STRONG, high-quality ramps to drive a truck on to raise it.
I once bought a pair but that was back in the '70s when they weren't made in China or India and cars weighed a few tons - so they were strong and trustworthy.
I never actually found any use for them so like a idiot I gave them away.
Now for the first time in my life I need a pair, but don't have a clue what brand to trust. I've heard horror stories about the new ones collapsing.
Can any one help?
THANKS!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,707 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,707 | Rhino Ramps are the way to go. Available at your Flaps, Wally World, and others. Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Thanks Wayne67, I'll look into them. No other replies yet - maybe everyone else doesn't care if I get squished.......? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | Can I have your truck, Old 'Burb..... LOL John | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | I'm not sure if I should put this in the 'spoon or not, but I'd like a pair of STRONG, high-quality ramps to drive a truck on to raise it.
I once bought a pair but that was back in the '70s when they weren't made in China or India and cars weighed a few tons - so they were strong and trustworthy.
I never actually found any use for them so like a idiot I gave them away.
Now for the first time in my life I need a pair, but don't have a clue what brand to trust. I've heard horror stories about the new ones collapsing.
Can any one help?
THANKS! I have 2 sets of Rhino Ramps and I agree they are good quality. I think adding jack stands and wheels chocks for added safety is a good idea. The Rhino Ramps are strong because of a honeycomb type design. They can and will fail if they have cracks. Treat them nicely and they should last. If they have any cracks, then I'd throw them out rather than risk life or limb. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Thanks again everyone! Looks like rhino it is.
Hey Denny those look great!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | If you aren't going to use them for for a pickup, there are several out there. If you are going to use them on a larger truck, these are the only way to go. http://www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/05-12.pdfWe have been using them for several years now and they are the only to go on larger trucks. We use them on my pickup and Jeep as well. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | If you aren't going to use them for for a pickup, there are several out there. If you are going to use them on a larger truck, these are the only way to go. http://www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/05-12.pdfWe have been using them for several years now and they are the only to go on larger trucks. We use them on my pickup and Jeep as well. Thanks!  I like those too! I don't have anything that weighs 20 tons at the moment because unfortunately I can't find, or probably even afford, a deuce and a half.  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I hate ramps, if I can't use my hoist at work, I use jack stands Scott | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | I made some ramps using 2 X 8 treated lumber. The bottom piece was between 3 and 4 feet long. A shorter piece was screwed on top and then repeated until I had a ramp with little tiny steps. I think I had 6 layers for about a 9" rise. They were heavy too! Also, the length of the ramp that extended beneath the door and rocker area made it impossible to gain access in that area. So I changed the design to make it a 2 piece ramp. That did 3 things all at once. It allowed me to remove the ramp "steps" once the tire was up onto the flat surface. It made 4 smaller pieces instead of 2 huge pieces so it was easier to store and carry them around. Lastly, I used the "steps" portion as a wheel chock behind the rear wheels for added safety. The new lumber cost about the same as a new set of Rhino Ramps. If you have lumber laying around then it'd be cheaper. I laughed at myself for spending the money and time making then because 1 month later I found a brand new set of Rhino Ramps at the Thrift Store for $10. Joke was on me. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Guess I'm just old fashioned, can't feature myself crawling under a couple tons of steel supported by plastic foam. The pressed out sheet metal ones are bad enough.
Solid wood blocking is one thing, but I'd feel the same about ramps made from two-by lumber as I do about plastic ramps.
dg
Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/15/2015 1:06 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Solid wood blocking is one thing, but I'd feel the same about ramps made from two-by lumber as I do about plastic ramps.
dg But the wood ramps ARE solid wood block, just laminated. Whatever ramp is used, I do think jack stands are necessary if you are gonna get UNDER it.
Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/15/2015 5:11 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Ramps are something that seems too much like something I would use twice a year or so, but wonder the rest of the year where I am gonna put them. Floor space is always at a premium so just using a floor jack and jack stands (since I have no choice on those two items) works for me. If I were to go that route, like Denny, I would make them myself. Looks like a cross between Dennys great work and Cren's ramps would really be fun to make. Nope, Not gonna doit! Wouldnt be prudent! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Thanks again everyone! Lots of good ideas here!
I have until the snow is all gone before I decide because I'll be using my rv pad instead of the garage.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | I guess it all depends on what you do. We change oil every 15,000 miles which means about 3 or 4 oil changes a week so they see a lot of use. Zoro had another 20% off promotion and I was going to buy another pair, but I couldn't them in their catalog. I did however buy another pair of tall jack stands at 20% off. http://www.zoro.com/i/G3036476/I have a pair of tall Lincoln jack stands which are awkward to move around. http://www.jackxchange.com/products/W93525.cfmThe OTC with the round base roll. We routinely lift the entire rear of a truck and put the frame on jack stands to grease the brakes and check the rears. | | |
| |