The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1085132 02/12/2015 3:38 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 116
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 116
I have a '46 2 ton that arrived just before winter that doesn't run. I wasn't able to get much of anything done on it because it got cold quick. However, the engine in it is a replacement with no id tag. It just a a GM 48 on the side. I have a '42 that came with a 216 identical to the one in the 2 Ton. A replacement with GM 48 stamped on the side. That was it. My question is, is it possible that the 2 ton also runs on a 216? Did 1 1/2 and 2 tons have 216's in them? Is there any way, other than physically measuring to see if this is a 235 or a 216?


1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup
1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here are locations of casting codes.

head casting code
head date casting code
block casting code
block date casting code

Those should help ID the block/head.

The 235 LOAD-MASTER was standard equipment in the large trucks.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
While 2-tons left the factory with 235's under the hoods, a 216 will fit right in there. I fact, I'm running one in mine right now. When I can afford to get the 235 rebuilt, it will go back in but the 216 does the trick for now.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
This doesn't answer your question but the Canadian army ran 216s in trucks up to 3 ton 4x4 throughout WW2 so the 216 certainly could have been used in trucks as heavy as your 2 ton. For the 3 ton 6x6 they went with the 270.

Last edited by Grant_Bowker; 02/12/2015 1:12 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
I think it is common for the big trucks to be seen with 216s. While originally they may have had the low-pressure 235s - I'm not certain whether they were standard or just an option, but Tim is probably right - the biggest weakness of the Chevy six was the thin casting, which led to the blocks cracking in the water jacket. My fire truck had this happen, and the department repowered it with a 216, because . . . well, 216s are a dime a dozen! They could get one at the local salvage yard, and it only lacked like 7 horsepower compared to the 235 (I know, I know . . .it's the torque that matters! Still . . . ).

Anyway, there's no doubt that for the big trucks, the 216 is underpowered. However, the original 235 was ALSO underpowered, and it was the biggest engine they had. There's a reason they come with that stump-puller 1st gear! That being said, I run my truck occasionally with it's full complement of equipment and 500 gallons of water. It's slow, but it goes! Without the water, I find it satisfactory, and usually enjoyable. Someday, I'll find the low-pressure 235 to rebuild and put in. Someday . . .

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 116
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 116
Thanks for the input. Like I said both engines don't have a serial number. Funny thing, thanks to this post I found that the engine that I thought was a 216 that came from my '42 1/2 ton was actually a 235. Interesting.


1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup
1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Some field rebuilds have no SN's on the block. A 261 will fit in there, be careful to identify correctly, look almost like 235.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0