The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 54
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 54
Anyone got advice on getting small dings out of the front horisontal bars on a crome 1950 GMC grill?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Carefully, slowly, patiently using a body hammer and dolly. You may wind up having to re-chrome.

Use a tap tap tap not a bang bang bang.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You may want to practice on something less valuable first.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Try making your self some dies out of hard wood like oak. THen try squeezing them together with a large c clamp. This is what I am going to try when I get ready to clean up my Grill. However it will need to be rechromed so I am not too worried about that aspect. Good luck


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be cautious trying to squeeze the dents out using blocks and a c-clamp. I tried it and it was marginally sucessful. I realized I could have gotten to the same place or better using hammer and dolly. It does make some logical sense but the metal does have a mind of its own it seems.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
When using a hammer and dolly work from the edge of the dent in. dont hammer directly in the middle of the dent

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
I've got a quarter sized dent in the bottom grill bar on my 52. I'm going to use a bumper bolt with its' rounded head to massage the dent out, using tap tap , slow and easy. Maybe I'll mess up, but I hope not!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have the same problem with a 53 grille. How can you take them apart? They have rivets in them..just drill them out? and put new ones in later?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Drill em out. They are strong, real steel rivets. I had to take the bottom 2 bars off of my 52 GMC grill to straighten and plan to reassemble with properly sized nuts and bolts with lock washers, and loctite. Smitty

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay thanks, I also have to straighten the two bottom bars.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
By the way, you could use rivets to put them back on, but it seems to me that a few of them would be very hard to reach . I could be wrong!

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
When I took my grill apart I drilled out the rivits. Then used nuts,bolts, and washers to put it back together. They really don't show unless you get up underneath. Cecil.......

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I have #4 grill bar on my 53 Chevy that's twisted from running into something. How to untwist this thing, it's not cooperating! Or, does some supplier out there sell individual grill bars???


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 54
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 54
Thanks for the great responses.
Houston 54, have tried the hammer and dolly with some success. Brian Moore is thinking similarly to how I felt, suggesting a form or wooden guide and a hammer. A combination of all may get the results I am looking for.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0