Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,246 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Guys, I've made efforts to keep my '59 truck original to the period on my long restoration project... but... What's keeping me from getting it inspected to finally put it on the road is the windshield wipers. I've got troubles with the old Trico! So here comes the question... should I keep trying or just convert to an electric motor?
Jerry | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | If your going to drive it a lot go with the electric. If you plan on just driving it in good weather then stick with the original.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | The truck won't be a daily driver. The cheapest route would be to go with the original. There's not much info online for the trico... and I really need it to work. Since I have no experience with it I can't judge how dependable the vacuum motor is if working properly. I'm really curious how many bolters on here converted. Thanks for the reply! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | they are dependable if in good shape, and fairly easy to "refresh" if no really rotten parts - also see Ficken Wiper ServiceBill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Thanks for the rebuild link, Bill! Maybe I should research replacement parts for the unit??? Their price isn't bad with a 3 year warranty though. I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed mine but maybe it just needs a new paddle and gaskets... Jerry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Bill, I've Googled and read enough. Ficken is the way to go for me, if no one pops up with fair priced electric set-up in my post in the "parts wanted". I'm feeling better about my dilemma! Thanks again for your help! Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, you won't find any parts available anywhere, Ficken has a lock on that .... but somewhere here folks [Denny?] discussed replacing the paddle seal, which is usually the main problem found, it dries out and wears - lubing the paddle edge with vaseline helps it seal if it's not too stiff
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | After disassembling and cleaning, I soaked the paddle edges in oil, swabbed oil along the bowl and wiped lithium grease on the paddle edges and other moving parts and parting lines. I'll see if I can find the thread on seal replacement. Thanks for the tip! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | You won''t be able to buy any parts off the shelf for your vacuum wiper motor. You are also going to need some special rivets and means to set them to take the paddle apart and put it back together. Ficken is the cheapest way to go if your wiper motor needs service. His website is www.wiperman.com | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 899 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 899 | I sent mine out to Ficken Wiper service. No regrets.
Brian 1955.2 3100 Truck The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Not enough info is available online when you Google Trico stuff. I still have yet to find a satisfactory diagram on how the hose(s) connect to the thing. The Assembly Manual shows different from what I have. If nothing else, I hope future searches lead head-scratchers like me to these posts! Thanks for the advice guys, it's what I asked for and what I received! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | As a follow-up for future readers with the same situation, I decided to send my unit off to get it rebuilt. I'll try to remember to get back here with the end results! Thanks again guys! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Sorry it's taken so long. The results are in... I now have a tested, working, warrantied, like new trico! Jerry | | |
| |