The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107814 11/20/2003 12:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 36
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 36
I do not know what the strip is actually called but it was fastened using HEAVY metal staples to the inside door window frame on my 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton PU. It has a felt piece that keeps the window snug and keeps it from rattling.

After buying an after market strip, I can not figure out how to attach the new piece. I do not know of a staple gun THAT big and powerful to reattach the new strip.

Any suggestions or work-a-rounds?

Thanks!


Richie West
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
On my 50 I drilled very small holes through the weatherstrip and window trim and used some very small flathead sheetmetal screws my hardware store had. About 4 or 5 per window.Also used a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I used some masking tape wrapped around the whole shebang to keep everything lined up while I drilled and screwed.Once installed you can't see them.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 15
Thanks JR!

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Boy, I totally forgot about that project. About ten years ago I did exactly the same as what you, brjr51, did. Tiny screws heads become hidden once they snug down into the felt material.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
My kit included a drill bit and staples ... drill the holes, place the staples in and bend them over - by hand, I guess.

I haven't installed mine yet because I'm going to cover the mouldings with vinyl first ... and then install the felt strips.

Should I forget about attempting the staples and use screws instead??? It sure sounds easier!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Alan,
Yes, I would forget staples. I believe once in place you can torque the screws in a lot further than the staples. The key is to make sure they go way down into the felt so that you don't have any chance of scratching either the window frame or glass.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Thanks, man.

I was skeptical about those staples to begin with -- not being tight enough, too difficult to line up, etc.

These groups are priceless!
grin


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Hey!

I installed mine today, using the small sheet-metal screws ... it worked perfectly!
grin
And now, when I get around to covering the mouldings with vinyl, it'll be a cinch to remove and replace the felt strips!

THANKS!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0