The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Hi Y'all

I got a "new" Chevy 52 3600 I know that the engine is newer than the truck. The ID which I found on the engine a straight 6
goes like this.

389 4257
GM
66?

On the left of this is shown.

00N2 O1T2

Also trying to Identify a Carburtor. Pictures of both located here (I hope)

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/jlcjr/library/?sort=3&page=1


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Savannah54, welcome, you're correct, the engine is from 1963 or newer, could be a 194, 230, or 250. Are there any numbers stamped into the machined pad behind the distributor? The carburetor is a Rochestor model "B" which looks like it is an older version than the engine would have had on it from the factory, hope that helps

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Thanks SS
Thanks for replying No numbers stamped around the distributor. I'm just trying to figure this when lookin' for parts


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Julian,his handle is "3B". "Shop Shark" is the title given to members with more than 500? posts. 3B is correct on both your engine,and carburetor. i had the same stamping on a '62 Chevy C-40 bus. It didn't have any numbers by the dist.,either. Found out that it's a 250. Welcome to the '"Bolt"!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Thanks 3B and wetwilly I'll see where I can go with your info.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
According to Leo Santucci's Inline Six power manual, your block is a '68-'88. The location of the dipstick tells this much. With out a number stamp to identify it, next option is to check the stroke. Pull one spark plug out and stick a long narrow stick down the hole and rotate the engine slowly till the piston hits bottom. A 230 ci has 3.250" stroke, the 250 has a 3.530" stroke, a good 1/4" longer. The 194 went out of production in 1967 so I would rule that out.

joe

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Thanks Joe, I have Santucci's manual I had not read farther than the first chapter. Where did you find the reference to the dipstick location.

Also having a GM engine in a chev. truck dosen't look so odd after reading this manual. So was General Moters the parent company to Chevy and GM


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 72
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 72
Easy way to tell a 230 from a 250 is that a 230 has flat top pistons and a 250 has dished.



1964 C20 LWB 292 6 cyl/sm420 parts truck.
1966 C10 SWB 292 hotrod 6/TKO600 tremec 5 speed.
1964 GMC 1500 LWB 305E V6/ SM420 "Crustine"
1977 C20 LWB 496/turbo400(soon to be 572)
My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hdwhPFzfzpcUXyK_5-uiw
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
General Motors is the parent company to GMC Trucks, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, & Hummer. In the early years most divisions had their own engines but shared engines for trucks. Most later vehicles had Corporate (Chevrolet) engines.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Thanks everybody,
So far I've found the numbers were incorrect as posted in the first posting.

389 4257
GM
66?

On the left of this is shown.

00N2 C112

So I updated the Month and date to C112 this means that I have a engine made in March on the 11 of 1962. I believe the Pistons are flat top.

Thanks everybody for helping me find my way!!



Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
I was looking on page 21 of Leo's book, top photo. I think I have the second printing of the book.

Joe

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
I found the ID next to the distributor F0417CBT


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
From what I can find, it looks like its a 1970 or newer, the engine codes switched to three letters at that time. The C112 could be 1972. Look on the head for a casting date, it might be under the valve cover, that might help.

F -- Flint plant
04-- April
17-- Day
CBT-- engine code


Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Ok Numbers on the head onder the valve cover. From left to right.

12 GM 26 D82 084X 2962084X

Numbers on head on left side

45 F 2086 2084


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
D - Apr, 8 - day of month, 2 - '72, matches the block code of 04-17.

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; 01/09/2015 3:54 PM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
You just have to love casting codes. I have yet to make much sense from them. But on a lighter note, What week in '72 had 8 days?


Steve H
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Great, I'd like to thank everyone for your help in identifying my engine.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
That was a special week, only one ever!

Joe

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by Steve_H
You just have to love casting codes. I have yet to make much sense from them. But on a lighter note, What week in '72 had 8 days?

Leap year!


1951 3100

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0