The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, UtahYork, Rusty Rod, Ponchogl), 271 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,129
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107288 12/10/2004 3:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am rebuilding the hinges on my 54 and have learned several things about this activity such as a good way to get the old hinge pin out with less than fifty dirty words. Sadly though, one of the things I have yet to learn is how to get the two springs to fit in the top hinge without breaking them.

If someone has learned the trick to getting these springs to stay where they are meant to be while still allowing the new pin to be installed I would be grateful if you could share your knowledge.

Yes I have searched the archives but none of the past threads or links deal specifically with the spring installation issue.

At this point I will accept good guesses also.

Many thanks.

#107289 12/10/2004 6:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am getting in line behind you, waiting for the answer. My machinist did my hinges but can't get the springs in without breaking them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#107290 12/10/2004 7:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
My doors each had 1 spring broken/missing when I took them off so I decided to install new springs when I put them back on. I ordered a new set from Brothers and they promptly ALL broke when I installed them. They sent me a replacement set and they broke also. They were all very brittle metal, perhaps even pot metal, and about 1/16" wider than the originals. I finally found a parts truck and got 2 originals, cleaned them all up and they installed just fine.
The vendors probably get those replacements from the same place. I would start looking for a parts donor. Good luck.

shoeless

#107291 12/10/2004 8:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks. I do have a few extra hinges that still have the springs but I was hoping to use them as ebay fodder. Currently thinking about fabricating another means to keep the door from swinging too wide.

Has anyone designed an alternative to the springs?

There has to be someone out there who has suffered successfully through this.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0