The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, 2-Ton), 158 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1071604 12/04/2014 7:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Guys, I've made efforts to keep my '59 truck original to the period on my long restoration project... but...
What's keeping me from getting it inspected to finally put it on the road is the windshield wipers.
I've got troubles with the old Trico!
So here comes the question... should I keep trying or just convert to an electric motor?

Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
If your going to drive it a lot go with the electric. If you plan on just driving it in good weather then stick with the original.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
The truck won't be a daily driver.
The cheapest route would be to go with the original.
There's not much info online for the trico... and I really need it to work.
Since I have no experience with it I can't judge how dependable the vacuum motor is if working properly.
I'm really curious how many bolters on here converted. headscratch

Thanks for the reply!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
they are dependable if in good shape, and fairly easy to "refresh" if no really rotten parts - also see Ficken Wiper Service

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Thanks for the rebuild link, Bill!
Maybe I should research replacement parts for the unit???
Their price isn't bad with a 3 year warranty though.
I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed mine but maybe it just needs a new paddle and gaskets...
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Bill,
I've Googled and read enough.
Ficken is the way to go for me, if no one pops up with fair priced electric set-up in my post in the "parts wanted".
I'm feeling better about my dilemma! Thanks again for your help!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, you won't find any parts available anywhere, Ficken has a lock on that .... but somewhere here folks [Denny?] discussed replacing the paddle seal, which is usually the main problem found, it dries out and wears - lubing the paddle edge with vaseline helps it seal if it's not too stiff

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
After disassembling and cleaning, I soaked the paddle edges in oil, swabbed oil along the bowl and wiped lithium grease on the paddle edges and other moving parts and parting lines.
I'll see if I can find the thread on seal replacement.
Thanks for the tip!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
You won''t be able to buy any parts off the shelf for your vacuum wiper motor. You are also going to need some special rivets and means to set them to take the paddle apart and put it back together. Ficken is the cheapest way to go if your wiper motor needs service. His website is www.wiperman.com

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
I sent mine out to Ficken Wiper service. No regrets.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Not enough info is available online when you Google Trico stuff.
I still have yet to find a satisfactory diagram on how the hose(s) connect to the thing. The Assembly Manual shows different from what I have.
If nothing else, I hope future searches lead head-scratchers like me to these posts!
Thanks for the advice guys, it's what I asked for and what I received!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
As a follow-up for future readers with the same situation, I decided to send my unit off to get it rebuilt.
I'll try to remember to get back here with the end results!
Thanks again guys!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Sorry it's taken so long. The results are in...
I now have a tested, working, warrantied, like new trico!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0