Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (RLB, Mr Crosswrench, 1 invisible),
109
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,391 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 | Just bought a 1 ton 5 wind. deluxe 49 dual tire rear end Cab and Chassis model with long running boards and a 10' flatbed.Frame has an extension welded on for 10' bed(all looks like it was done in 49)-My question is why long running boards and could cab and chassis with dual tires be ordered with long running boards? | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 135 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2009 Posts: 135 | There was a 1 ton pickup offered with a 9 foot bed. (single wheel) Maybe your truck was originally one of those. If your long boards are good, they might be hard to find for someone restoring a 9 ft p.u.
Mike
Last edited by 35mike; 11/21/2014 5:52 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 | The model number on truck is for Cab and Chassis style.Someone then had flatbed installed.So that is why I was wondering if that model could be ordered with them and why would someone.Also remember this has a dual tire axle. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 75 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 75 | I have a 3800 series 49 chevy .It has single rear wheels 17 inch and a 9ft bed. I was wondering about your bed sides . If this was a factory order your bedsides should be 10 ft.long . But I think if it was factory set up the frame wouldn't be a welded add on. Just my 2 cents .
Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 75 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 75 | OOOOOPs You did say flat bed. Sorry, there are no bedsides on a flat bet .What's the matter with me anyway?
Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 45 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 45 | Hi Al, How long are the running boards and how good are they? I might be interested in them if you are getting rid of them. Thank you, Gerry Lee | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | A picture or two would help this thread a whole lot. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 | Thanks all for feedback.I want to keep the running boards for a 1 ton pickup bed I might buy.The flatbed is 10',but I meant it was installed by some independent company,not GM.Only the Cab and Chassis came from GM as model number (GS).Maybe it got sold off the dealer lot with long running boards and not ordered by someone this way.I`m just curious why someone(if the case) would want long running boards if they are going to fit a flatbed on it.I`m leaning more towards on dealer lot because it could be sold to have a body style put on that could use the long boards?I love to ponder the past(Stovebolter Forever) | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | A question for the experts -- Could someone have ordered the C&C with duals and the long running boards to upfit with a tow body or fire apparatus? Then maybe someone else got a hold of it and put the flat bed on it? 65 years is a long time to expect a truck to still be in its factory/original configuration -- Many things could have happened along that journey ... Bottom line: Doesn't make sense to me to purposely put a flat bed over long running boards from new. More probable that the truck started out in a configuration that used the long running boards and then morphed into what it is now at some later point at the hands of someone who didn't have access to short boards or who didn't care. JM
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 5 | Had not thought of it that way.Now I have two good ways it could of happened.I thank you all again because not many people seem to care WHY.I am one who would like to understand more and that is WHY is important.I guess that`s why a lot of us have found our way down the road to this forum.Thank God we are not alone. | | |
| |