The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Marlow, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1045273 07/28/2014 1:31 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
hi guys,

i bought a new cardboard glovebox liner for my 49 1/2 ton and was wondering how its supposed top fit.

liner came with holes around the edge (no metal clips) and my truck has corespomding (smaller) holes around the dash opening.

i cant work out if the liner is just bolted straight to the metal, ie liner over metal rim or if there's supposed to be a trim strip that sandwhiches the liner down.

or is the liner supposed to tuck behind the dash lip and secure via captive nut clips?

ive searched for some pics or guidance but couldnt find any answers


confused.


Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
The liner goes around the exterior of the perimeter metal lip of the opening. The liner should have sheet metal "nuts" crimped to the cardboard to accept sheetmetal screws.

If yours does not have the "nuts", you could try speed nut clips, but you risk scratching the paint on the metal lip as the liner is a tight fit to begin with.

Maybe trying buying the liner from an different vendor.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
This help?
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/glove_compartment
Hardware should have the clip-on speed nuts, if not
McMaster has them:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#clip-on-nuts/=t17a0w

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 07/28/2014 2:25 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
the vendors don't show the clips for the 49


didn't realize they were diffrent

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
thanks guys - fantastic help as always!

my truck was made january 1949.


i dont have that metal trim piece....hmmm where on earth can i find one of those!

guess i could try and make one or go the clip route....hmm

i just replaced the hinges the new ones and old look to be the same.


this truck is like no other restoration ive done - with all the re manufactured parts available and the huge volume of knowledge here

thanks again


Last edited by Drmike; 07/29/2014 2:02 AM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Interesting, never saw that trim piece.
Hey Brad, what happened to Flicker??? Used to be able to down
load the pictures, which I did many of for my reference file,
but now there isn't any option to download the image. Did you
lock out that feature??
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 07/30/2014 12:14 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Denny I will go in and look if I changed something it was by accident?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Denny
Click the 3 dots on the bottom of the image

Then click
View all sizes
Then it will give you an option to download

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Been tryin' to log in to the forum for a couple of hours but
after a couple of dozen try's I finally gave up. Seems to have
me logged in now. Was just fine for a couple of weeks, now for
the last couple of days the Stovebolt site keeps throwing me out.
Anyway, maybe I can get this in before I get thrown out again.

That's why I was asking Gus, there are no three stars like there
was in the past. Just the picture a few arrows at the bottom
and the heading. None of the stuff that used to be on the right
side of the picture.

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 07/30/2014 5:02 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
sorry Denny

I was looking at my ipad when I give that response.
ipad still gives the 3 dots at the bottom.

on my a PC I see a arrow down symbol at the bottom of the image page.
I'm able to click on that and it give's me a choice to view all sizes and down load.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 46
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 46
I have several of the thin metal surround pieces if anyone needs one

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, that does the truck Gus, thanks, that's different from
the way it's been in the past so it had me going there.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
I have a 1948 Chevrolet 3100 truck and I replaced the glove box liner as well. Mine has the metal edge trim that goes around the box. Good luck trying to find a new one. I have the original one but it is pretty bent up. I searched all over trying to find a replacement with no luck. I straightened out the original as best I could and reused it. I also ordered new screws as well and the ones I received were to big. It seems they were actually for the later 49 and up models.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
clhaney,

Send oldblue48 a PM. He has several of these glove box bands in excellent condition. I just got one. Cleaned it up and repainted it to match the dash, Looks just like new.

Tim

Last edited by fixit1958; 11/25/2014 2:33 PM.

"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0