The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, Hanks custodian, rfs56trk, tclederman), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1068301 11/14/2014 5:11 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 13
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 13
I need to remove my front grill and need a little guidance. From what I can find, hood needs to be removed, but radiator can stay in place. Can anyone add some color or insight. Much appreciated.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
The shop manual has some good advise on doing this. But, when I did it some years ago I wanted to avoid the pain of refitting and adjusting the hood etc. The shop manual indicated the grill could be removed with the other parts in place, but it would be more difficult.

Me being the "why take the road more traveled when another path leads to more excitement-type", chose the difficult way. dang After completion I didn't think it was that bad and sure avoided the hood hassle reinstall etc.

It was some years ago and I may forget a step or two, but here goes.
I removed all the lower sheet metal under the grill, the valance and chin. Then reached up from the bottom and removed all the bolts. The ones on the top are hardest to reach, mostly because as I recall I couldn't see them and it had to be done by feel and short arms didn't help either. Be sure and do some limbering up exercises before starting though, your back will thank you. Then I removed the top end stainless steel v-shaped trim. The grill was free to remove then.
I had to replace broken cage nut fasteners. Replacing the grill was tricky with short arms. I used heavy twine to move it into place and hold while securing all the bolts.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by 46Sparky; 11/16/2014 5:15 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Can't recall exactly but I took the fan off and with the help of a neighbor we tilted the radiator back over the carburetor and pulled it out the side.....but I have a V8 in my truck but seems it would work for the 6cyl. to......Maybe?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0