The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (msmall, GRNHydra, RaNfLaS, Shaffer's1950, Hotrod Lincoln), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,568
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Hey guys, Got my 55.2 finally running for the first time- pretty cool. So now of course that Im happy, the wife is complaining about the noise (always something, right?). oh yea - it has no exhaust pipes or muffler at this time. So my question is it a good idea to increase the size of the exhaust pipes compared to stock. Will that by itself increase horsepower or screw up how the engine runs if that the only modification I make and keep the stock cam, lifters, intake & exhaust manifold etc? Very interested in your experience here since it time to buy the pipes & a muffler. Thanks

Shank


Task Force 55
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Forgot to include, engine is a 235 with single pipe



Task Force 55
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Helps top end hurts bottom end. I line 6 right? Maybe 2" max.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
A 2" pipe with a flow through muffler at the end will let it breath and give good sound.

Anything bigger than 2" will have to be reduced at the manifold anyway.

Last edited by Jim Sears; 11/09/2014 6:00 AM.
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Thanks. Yes its an in line 6. Any recommendations to muffler for this set up? Is flow thru the same as straight thru?

Shank


Task Force 55
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I would not use anything bigger than 2", You would find better results with pipe a little smaller than going bigger. I would get a generic round muffler. If you want a little rumble with your exhaust you could put a glasspack type muffler on.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
This is the opposite end of the question: "will dual carbs improve the power on my otherwise perfectly stock 235"?

And the answer is basically the same: go back to the post by Hollow55, and reread.

Will probably give you more issues with trying to get a smooth idle. You might gain 5 HP at wide open throttle. How often will you be at wide open throttle???

Since you mentioned the wife is currently unhappy with the noise, and you aren't making any additional engine mods; would suggest going with stock exhaust.

(Opinion) MUCH better to impress the wife that you listened to her concerns than to impress the 15-year-old across the street with the noise!

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I'm with Jon!


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
When I was a younger man the motto used to be "If it's too loud, your too old." Well guess what......



Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
I run 3" and have the equivalent hp of 6 of your motors


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Because I am cheap. I used the front pipe from the ex manifold to the muffler. It was there and in good shape OK? The muffler came from some Hot Rod project that got new headers and pipe so it was just under the bench and in the way. It had 2 1/2 in and out so I added a reducer bit from Autozone and the up and over bent part fit rather well. So with 2 clamps and that reducer, I spent less than 20 dollars. It sounds OK, it fits, and now you tell me I gained some HP? Cheap is good. Maybe less than Hollow65 but I will take what I can get. smile


Steve H
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
no Steve, because you used the stock diameter head pipe, you don't have any gain, just effectively shorter

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
:(, that sucks


Steve H
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Appreciate the feedback guys

Shank


Task Force 55
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
To really gain hp, you need to put more air into the engine. As it is now, the exhaust is not the restriction point.
You will need to start with the intake ports in the head to free up some air movement, then the intake manifold and carburetor.
Now you have more coming in, but the camshaft is still stock, so it now limits how much air can fill the cylinders. At this point you change to a cam with more lift and duration.
Great, the motor now has all the fuel and air it needs, only the exhaust won't let it out. While cutting on the intake ports, you might as well open up the exhaust ports and add bigger valves.
This in turn means a bigger exhaust manifold is needed. Can't find one, go to header style manifolds, and now, finally you need bigger exhaust pipe. But wait, you didn't increase the rpm in which you drive most in so you still have the same hp and probably less torque then you started with. Not until you raise the rpm, will the extra power come into play.

Joe

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Insightful - makes a lot of sense to see the whole package. Thanks!


Task Force 55
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Turbo?


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Great post Joe. You have just made it real easy to just leave everything stock.
If these engines cannot be revved up to the level where they would show any benefit of the high performance modifications, then what's the point?
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Originally Posted by Hollow65
I run 3" and have the equivalent hp of 6 of your motors

Quantify "equivalent hp." 1955 235 = 123 horsepower.
123 hp x 6 motors = 738 hp

Just curious.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
the best way I can think of to increase horsepower is turbocharging, which would also have the benefit of being fairly quiet. I haven't done it yet, but I have one on the list.

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Claud, I dynoed 741 at the crank. It is stupid fun... Maybe 580 at the wheels after the th400 and 2 piece driveshaft soak up a little. Nothing like a 60mph rolling burnout. Yes I am immature. We're all big kids playing with our trucks.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
OK- gotcha, Hollow... you're not talking about a 235.

But the burnout does sound cool- enjoy it if'n you can afford it!

Still a kid, too.
Brad



Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Brad, I believe 65 has never even seen the inside of a stovebolt engine, and apparently never intends to. We have an arrangement where together we can pass everything on the road. He passes all the cars with his hotrod, and I pass the gas stations with my GEO Metro!
LOL!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
You're right Lincoln, I probably won't see the inside of a stovebolt. My heater actually does quite well with mpgs. Roughly 18 on the highway.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
A video of you and the "60mph rolling burnout" would be an impressive argument for going to 3" exhaust pipes; should someone ever stumble on this thread & take it out of context. I can see it posted now:

gulliblespeedjunkie
New Guy- moderated

hey all this is my first post. i love this site but i read if i put on them three inch pipes out my 235 i'd have bout 700 horses under the hood. that dog dont hunt cos my 0-60 speed turned into 0-45 speed...is it the gas I'm running? do i need to grease the rear axle?

All in good fun
Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

ho-hum laalaa

It is boring to read about a high-performance unknown power plant in an unknown vehicle in a forum about "normal" engines in pre-73 Chevrolet trucks.

It is less interesting than learning about an Advance-Design truck with a diesel engine producing 505 horsepower and 885 pound-feet of torque and it has 8-inch stacks ?

Ah, but, the original question was about larger pipes; so, this is still on topic?.

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Did the stack increase power?


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
The "8-inch stacks" are necessary on the diesel to carry away all of the black smoke from the diesel!!! wink

A smaller pipe would quickly be stopped up from the pollution!!! wink

Do the diesels still have the tap on the bottom of the stacks to draw off the carbon, now that computer software has dramatically cut the demand for pencils? wink

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Originally Posted by Hollow65
Roughly 18 on the highway

18 gallons per mile?
headscratch
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The first restriction is fairly difficult to reduce: the relatively small volume in the exhaust manifold when the exhaust valve opens, since it's already pressurized by the previous cylinder's exhaust strokes.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0