The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Shade Baby, 49nut, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
Sounds cool. That's what I was looking for to tow my 68 Airstream. A mid 50's 1 ton. Instead bought a 3 ton 50 Firetruck. Couldn't pass it up. Will the 3-53 pull a trailer when he's done with it? Looking forward to his progress. Jim

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
Lets see some pics of the Spartan Manor too. Like them as well.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Probably down hill with the clutch in. AD(3-71) trucks were not known for their acceleration, a turbo would help, though.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
The story continues. A guy he knows has been using his shop for rebuilding a couple transmissions and is going to use it to install a 3-53 in a pickup. For payment for using his shop he has found a recently rebuilt (low hours on rebuild) 3-71 with a 4 valve head out of a road grader. So now my dad has a 4 valve head 3-71 to install in the truck. Now all he needs to find is a 13 speed transmission and a different rear end. things are coming together for him on this project at way too fast a speed.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
Chris, just wondering how the new engine is set up, blower and exhaust on passenger side like original?

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
Chris, pm sent

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Probably a RT 610-10 speed would be adequite, RTO would help with the OD, since not too many mountains in the Dakotas.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
No not many mountains here, no. My dad is a truck driver as well and I think he wants the 13 speed just because he can and he knows how to shift it smile. I will be going up to his place over thanksgiving to weld the body mounts on my Son's 50 pickup so that we can haul it down in the spring and start working on it. I will see what state this truck is in then.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Well times seem to have changed some. My dad is currently thinking about selling this old 470-d. I am curious what he should even ask for it? He started this project wanting to build a diesel out of an old truck. He has another Chevy big bolt and just found a line on a 98 International School bus with an 8.3 Cummins motor and an automatic transmission. He is thinking of putting the Chevy on that frame now (My idea, he initially thought of using this truck but I talked him out of it, thankfully).

In any case he does not know what to do with the truck and I thought I would ask to see what you thought the old monster would be worth.

Overall it is in good shape. Here is the good.
1.) No rust.
2.) Motor (3-71 Diesel) runs. 70K original miles.
3.) Brakes work
4.) Drives (not in a daily driver fashion, more it can get itself from one place to another if you are careful.)
5.) Dump bed works.
6.) Transmission shifts.
7.) Fuel tanks are good.
8.) Dayton wheels (could probably get a Tubeless wheel for them.)
9.) 12 Volt from the factory.
11.) Generator works
12.) Air pump works (Air brakes smile ).
13.) Overall fairly easy truck to fix up.
14.) Has original GMC 470 Diesel Emblems.
15.) All original truck.
16.) Heater fan works (Not great but it does spin)

The bad. Nothing unexpected.
1.) Back and door windows are broken out (amazingly no rust holes in the cab, not sure how that worked out).
2.) Needs an entire interior (Headliner, glove box, floor covering, door covers etc.)
3.) Needs all new glass.
4.) Instruments need to be rebuilt (the Tach works).
5.) Transmission needs an overhaul.
6.) Needs a clutch.
7.) Motor could be used as is with some new injectors. Should really be overhauled.
8.) Two speed rear end works but should be checked out.
9.) Tires are of course at least 20 years old, figure older (all hold air, did not have to air them up at all to drive it home)
10.) Dent along side of passenger fender (1/4 inch deep, 2 feet long, looks like something rubbed by it or it rubbed something pointed.

Amazingly the truck is in really good shape, though it has all the issues you expect to find in a non restored version. For as good a truck as this is it is hard to believe it was used to haul gravel and rock pretty much it's entire life.

Let me know what you guys think. My dad was serious about this till he found the 98 school bus (complete with Power steering smile ).

I have driven this truck about 20 miles, my dad has driven it about 25 or 30 more. He put some better injectors a friend had in the motor and it has pretty good power (it is only a 3-71).

When we picked it up it had one completely plugged injector, however, after sitting for 20 years all we had to do was put in new fuel and fuel filters then pulled it about 100 feet till it started (the started had been removed and used elsewhere). He has put a starter on the truck now and it starts fine with the starter.

Sorry for the really long post on this, tried to make sure it was a complete description.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
I've seen posts,where running/driving "Big Bolts" were purchased for as little as $100.00! Lucky Devils!! I've seen other non-running "big Bolts fetch $1,000,or more,depending on condition. I bought my T.F. '55 6500 for $2,000,and I figure that as a good price. but,the 261 runs like new,and the rest of the drive-train is in good condition..Your Dad's truck is rarer,and runs/drives. The dump works. Mine does now,but not when I bought it. I'd start at $3,000/O.B.O.,but that's just MY suggestion. What year "Big Bolt" is your Dad grafting to the I.H.C. bus? Isn't the bus frame/wms-to- wms considerably wider on the bus chassis? Please keep us posted on the progress! Thanks!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Not exactly sure on the year. He bought a 77 ford 4x4 for $1400 and the farmer threw the Chevy Grain truck in. I guess they drove it to where it was parked 2 years ago. I am planning on taking the motor out of it and putting it into my 49 (it is locked up solid). I know that it is a 47 to 53 model, that is about all I know. My dad did not know any more than that either.

Once he actually gets the bus he will let me know the dimensions. If it just plain will not work he can sell the motor and Allison automatic transmission for more than he will pay for the bus and go back to fixing up this old GMC. I will keep you guys up to date as the adventure continues.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The grain truck is a 47-53? If a normal 1.5 or 2 ton then an 8.3L Cummins has very little chance of fitting. Some have done the 5.9L Cummins in them and its a terribly tight fit with much sheet metal work to do so.
If the truck is a large GMC it may fit the 8.3L Cummins.

Your tape measure will answer for sure.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Been a while since I updated this topic as this has seemed to be a constantly evolving project.

My dad has went three directions with this, though due to some recent acquisitions over the weekend I think I have an Idea of what he is actually going to do.

Long story short, he is looking at another 1952 GMC 450, original motor, transmission and box already gone. To put in that he just picked up a rebuilt 6v-53T with the top turbo. He has an Allison automatic to stick behind it and will probably just pick up a 1.5 ton Frame and rear ax to put underneath it. Behind the cab he has a 30 inch sleeper he is going to install and put an aluminum flatbed behind that. TruckZilla will come to life. If he actually does get started building that I will get pics and let you know.

On to why this is important to this topic.
He now has acquired through auction all the parts to rebuild the original 3-71 and transmission. When we went to pick up the 6v-53T there was a nice box labeled 6v-71. What to my wandering eyes should appear upon opening the box, but a completely rebuilt 6v-71 head with all new springs and rockers :), he picked that up for $200 (6v-71 and 3-71 heads are interchangeable). I think I finally have him convinced to just rebuild the original diesel, fix the windows and the seat and use it for a dump truck around the farm.

This is all the update I have for you at this point. If and when I have more I will let you know.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
That was one of the reasons a lotta guys liked Detroits. A 371 was a half of a 6V71 and most of the parts interchanged. I run nothing but Cummins in my fleet simply because I evolved with them the last 46 years. I do have a Detroit in my yard mule. It takes a lot of abuse and keeps on screaming. Detroits make good vocational engines and they start pretty good in cold weather if they have good compression.

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
My dad is an old Diesel mechanic and has worked on Detroit, Cummins and Cat among others. He has a soft spot for the old 2 stroke Detroits though. Beyond that he is a Cummins man for these little projects. I say little as growing up the smallest diesel I ever worked on was a Cummins 855 turbo. I don't really count the 5.7 that was in my grandpa's Oldsmobile as a Diesel, more of a small block Chevy that could get by on diesel fuel.

Last edited by Chris Hagen; 10/31/2014 3:40 PM.

Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Just an FYI, The 5.7 diesel engine that was used was based on an Oldsmobile 350 engine.

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
I was just trying to say it was more of a generic gas engine design pushed to diesel, could not think of a more generic example than the tried and true small block. But thanks for the correction. It led me to digging thorough the net and I learned something. I never really paid much attention to the fact that the 350 engines from the other GM variants besides GM and Chevy were different.


Too many projects not enough time.
1950 3800 Chevy Panel Truck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0