Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | So I have been tooling around Sunday mornings for some time now. It seems top speed is about 40 mph in my truck.
216 stock with a 4 speed on floor. Seems it could climb a stone wall but just not a highway driver...
Is this common? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Should be a bit better than that, all these trucks need taller gears, overdrive etc. My 53 3600 (235 .080 over, twice pipes) would get down the highway, barely, now with 4:11s it's better in every gear. Lots of ways to make it better, read tech tips etc and others will be along with lots of ideas.
Very nice truck btw! Good luck
Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 06/29/2014 8:11 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | 40 is a bit slow. Should be in the 45 to 50 range without pushing it too hard.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | So, I never was able to drive my stock '52 before I started on the restoration. Having heard the top speed limitations and recommendations on re-gearing, I did just that. With the combination of 3.55:1 gearing and 215/85-16 tires, my truck is pleasure to drive on relatively level ground. I have not had a chance to get it over about 40 mph or so (speedometer has not been re-geard, so I don't really know how fast I am going). But, hills are a different story and the truck is geared too high for the significant hills in my area (15% grade or so). Many of the steeper hills are a 1st gear only proposition.
What should/would I do different: Probably stay with the taller gears and then find a shorter (smaller diameter) tire closer to original size to help offset the taller gearing somewhat. But, if you live in relatively flat area, taller gears and taller tires will make the truck very enjoyable on the highway. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 93 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 93 | ............just my 2 cents worth here. If you want to drive your truck further than the local store then replace the stock transmission / rear end with a T5 transmission and a rear end of your choice. I think using a 3:55 gear kit is waste of time and money. You will still have a slow 3 speed tranny and a torque tube. So, just loose the drive train and replace it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | 53Cowboy,
You should first decide how original you want to keep the truck (original-style parts and/or original-looking/appearances).
Either original or modified, it is your truck. If meets your goals and it makes you happy, it is not a waste of time or money.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 | Got mine up to 65 on interstate last week without issue. Original 1953 3100 with 216. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 | I weekend cruise a stock 49 216 w/a 3 on the tree & 4.11 gearing. It easily cruises 45 and I can run at 50 if need be to keep up w/traffic. I have hit 65 a couple times when passing the unusual slower than me driver but I only kept it there for only as long as it took as it's really screaming at 65. It may have alittle left above 65 but I haven't taken it there as I want it to last......
I can tell by both sounds and feel that my 49 is happily hitting every lick between 40 & 45 and thats where I normally run it.
I would think a 4 speed would hit higher than 40mph?
Dave
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Whether 3 or 4 speed makes no difference. Both have a 1:1 output. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Whether 3 or 4 speed makes no difference. Both have a 1:1 output. Depends on which 4 speed you are talking about. There are 4 speeds that were used in trucks & cars that are basically a 3 speed with an overdrive. Here is some data from my archive file. I have toyed with putting a NP440 in my '65: Another, lesser known option is the NP440. This is the New Process 833OD with a GM pattern. It comes with a Hurst shifter and is a 3spd with an overdrive 4th. 3.09 / 1.67 / 1.00 / 0.73
The 833-OD was used in GM trucks in both 2 and 4 wheel drive; I think from 81-86. Its RPO code is MY6. It was used in the Dodge configuration from the late 60s to the early 80s; in cars and trucks. You might also look at the NP-440 transmission, came in the GMC and dodge trucks actually a three speed with fourth being the overdrive they used them from 1977 to `86, the RPO on them was MY-6, the ones used in the dodge where the same other that the bell housing you can`t use, the trans came in cast iron and aluminum....quite a bit stronger than the T-5... http://www.bangshift.com/forum/foru...-a833-manual-transmission-question/page2I have a Ford 4 speed SROD out of an '85 Mustang in my old Ford Model T RPU. 4th gear is .78:1 ratio. As stated previously, the ideal set-up is an overdrive transmission to tame RPM's while on the highway. And these 3 speeds are nice as they have pretty steep 1st gears. Hope that helps!  John | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Depends on which 4 speed you are talking about. There are 4 speeds that are basically a 3 speed with an overdrive. We are discussing stock trucks. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | So I guess I'll stick my two penny's worth in here and post my experience with my totally stock 50, 3604 216 w/SM420. The only mod that I have made to it is to swap the 4.57 Eaton center section with a 4.10 Eaton center section. The cruising speeds and top speeds are the same as Dave posted comfy at 45-50 turning about 2500, could run all day at 55, run it up to 65 when I need to and I've still got throttle left but it's really screaming at that speed and running over 3000. Don't know what speed she would top out at but for sure it's over 65mph. Never had a problem with any hill in high gear and have always been able to maintain or increase speed on the up hill climb with out down shifting. Don't really care to run over 55 much with the stock suspension. Huck brakes are adequate and have never experienced brake fade in the decade that I've been driving her. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 07/01/2014 1:17 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 155 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 155 | These trucks were designed for the rural roads and farms that existed before Eisenhower's interstate system. 45-50mph was a pretty good pace and beyond 65mph was usually the domain of V8s. For me, a great deal of the charm of driving an old truck is the smell, sounds and limitations of originality. If you are going to stay original, I suggest you enjoy the back roads at a leisurely pace as these trucks were designed for. I keep a motorcycle in the garage for those occasions I feel the need for speed. RdsLessTaken/Don Backroads Drive: http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/RdLessTaken/media/IMG_85131_zpsd8f0ffba.jpg.html | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | If you haven't already done it, check your actual speed with a GPS unit. Your speedometer may not be accurate. Does your engine have a slight ping when its in one gear too low, as in, under a load? If not, you may get better performance if you advance the timing until it does ping slightly under load. I advance my timing until it pings, then retard it a smidge. I just don't like to here that pinging. Some will say to time it at idle so that the ball is on the needle and you are good to go. I differ from that suggestion due the many variables that affect timing once the the gas pedal is pushed. They include, somewhat worn mechanical advance, point gap not perfect due to slight error or normal wear, and vacuum advance pivot rivet wear. When all of these components are set perfectly and are brand new, then ball on needle is likely the correct setting for best all around performance. For real world conditions it may only represent a good place to start IMHO. (See? I can be humble). Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Humble isn't in my vocabulary Carl, bull headed Irishman is more like it. Been setting the timing where the engine was designed to run at since my first Stovebolt, which was a '51 and many more after that over the past 58 years. My feeling is that's where it belongs unless you've modified the basic engine design. Other wise why would the design engineers do all that engine testing that they've done to determine the best all round ignition timing for these millions upon millions of GM engines.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 | May I share my experience with my 3804? I have a 1958 "235 with solid lifters, a 1954 Corvette cam,Fenton Split exhaust headers and 4:11 rear gears, stock SM 420 4 speed, 2.55x65x.85 R 16 tires as the drivers. Yesterday as I was on my way to "Auto Fest" in New Ulm MN, A lady was riding on my bumper close enough to disturb my exhaust flow. I was cruising at 62 MPH as measured on my GPS unit aside me. When she decided to try to pass me, I put my foot into the carb. and put her back in her place behind me. When the pistons were "Changing holes", a glance at the GPS read 75 MPH. I have previously read 70 MPH on GPS and had some room on the accelerator pedal. Just a hint of what can be accomplished with some "Era" modifications. And don't meet the "Smokies" when "Running them"!
Last edited by 1951Chevy1Ton; 07/01/2014 5:13 AM.
Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Humble isn't in my vocabulary Carl, bull headed Irishman is more like it. Been setting the timing where the engine was designed to run at since my first Stovebolt, which was a '51 and many more after that over the past 58 years. My feeling is that's where it belongs unless you've modified the basic engine design. Other wise why would the design engineers do all that engine testing that they've done to determine the best all round ignition timing for these millions upon millions of GM engines.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL Denny: I initially set the timing on the ball and the engine ran terrible and "popped" through the carb. Granted, I neglected to disconnect the vacuum to the vacuum advance. I reset the timing to the bottom of the "window" with the vacuum disconnected. No pinging and the engine now behaves itself. I probably have more room for further advance. Now, why did Chevy set the stock timing where they did? My guess is they had to time to lowest potential grade of gasoline anyone would likely come across during the day. Modern gasoline is vastly superior and hence the engine will definitely respond favorably to a little advance. Even GM recognized this and allowed for advance if you found good gasoline. I believe in the advance until it pings and back off slightly theory and used to do that with my '71 RS Camaro with personally built LT-1 engine. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | The vacuum advance should not have to be unhooked to set the timing. I have had the issue with my '40 that the timing was advanced to much and it developed a surge at highway speeds. I backed the timing a few degrees and all was good. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 182 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 182 | Modern gasoline is vastly superior and hence the engine will definitely respond favorably to a little advance. My understanding is that because of the low 6:1 compression of these old 216's, they can't actually benefit from the higher octane of modern gasoline, and that advancing them beyond factory settings is necessary to make them run only as well as they would on low octane gasoline. Is this correct? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | So I have been tooling around Sunday mornings for some time now. It seems top speed is about 40 mph in my truck.
216 stock with a 4 speed on floor. Seems it could climb a stone wall but just not a highway driver...
Is this common? My 50 has stock rear gears but a 54 car 235 tires 235/75r/15 Can run 50 to 55 easily Made two road trips, one of them 1200 miles. Could do 60 if I had too Fastest ever recorded speed. 62.7 iPhone GPS speed app | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | I run a stock '49 216 in my '53 with stock three speed and 4.11 rear. I usually run 57-60 mph(verified by GPS) on the high-way for up to an hour at a time. My tires are 265/70/17s so that helps. Last week I trailered my new '54 1/2 ton home with my '53 and that little 216 pulled the load 15 miles to my house without a sweat, holding 57 mph on the flats. My respect for these engines grows by the day. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | It is an sm420...also I have 15 inch tires on it now. The original 16 are being blasted. That may make a difference. Planning on keeping it all stock.
Sunday morning coffee runs and ice cream with the wife, that is all it will see for now.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 140 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 140 | I would be afraid to run them to fast without full flow oiling. They will run faster but not for very long. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | Yup so I want to keep it original and the sm420 is a four speed, but 1st gear is only good for putting in gear on the farm and walking behind it picking pumpkins.
Guess puttin round town is what I use it for. Should get the 16 inch tires new shoes so I can put them back on on in spring and see how that goes. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Yup so I want to keep it original and the sm420 is a four speed, but 1st gear is only good for putting in gear on the farm and walking behind it picking pumpkins.
Guess puttin round town is what I use it for. Should get the 16 inch tires new shoes so I can put them back on on in spring and see how that goes. I tried running 15 inch rims/tires until once on my 52, and it started screaming at 40 MPH. With 16 inch stock rims/tires, it didn't scream until 50-55.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Good point, but I was running much later 15 inch tires/rims on my 52. I have never seen the vintage 15 inch tires. They must be really tall. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | so took it on the highway and it sure is topping out at 40. I measured the 15 inch outside diameter and the 16.5 stock
15s are on it
15 = 28 inch 16.5 = 29 inch
Width - not sure what that matters 15 = 9 16.5 = 7.5 I may slap em on a take it for a ride just to see.
I did the calculations - my 15 inch tires are going 25-30 more rotations per mile than the 16.5 stock would.
Last edited by 53Cowboy; 10/26/2014 1:02 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | 16.5" original 1953 3100 wheels/rims? 16.5" rim diameter?
6.00 x 16" (6.00" tube section and 16" wheel diameter) tire was standard 6.50 x 16" (6.50" tube section) and a wider diameter 15" (7.0" tube section) were optional.
4.5" rim width for the 16"s 5.5" rim width for the 15"
Just for comparison with your actual measurements: the original 1954 rims on my 54 3100 trucks (16"x4.5") with high profile truck radial tires have a rolling diameter of about 31.5" (LT215/85R16)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I do a 20 mile highway drive once a week to buy hay from the farm. My 49 has a 235, stock 3 speed and 4.11 rear. 6.50-16 bias ply tires and my sweet spot is just below 55 mph. It seems to love it. If I take the back roads I cruise about 35. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 338 | | | |
| |