The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060117 10/04/2014 6:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
I have a 41 1/2 ton was wondering if intake manifold was semi gloss black or a cast gray originally I have seen both ways
Thanks for any info

Last edited by crash2012; 10/04/2014 6:09 AM.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The intake was painted engine color(dark gray)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Right On Don!
What you're observing Crash, is what someone did to cover up
the rust which forms a week after the original factory paint
has burned off the exhaust manifold. A PO sprayed some
Hi-temp hot rod paint on it.
If you want to keep the look of bare, un-rusted cast iron,
'Calyx' works well but has to be reapplied every few months.
http://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating.html

Here is an exhaust manifold with about two years use on it
that was treated with Calyx but not maintained real well.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/124991344

This was the way it looked right after being treated while
mounted up on the engine.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/114331484

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/04/2014 1:57 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I touch up the Calyx once a year (Spring time post-hibernation activity). Mine lasts all year, as long as I do not get the manifolds wet and then forget to run the engine to dry them off.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
Thanks Guys!!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Just re-read this, my mistake, you were asking about the intake,
not the exhaust. Dyslexia is a terrible burden you know.
Sorry,
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
No worries Denny I needed info for the exhaust too.
Nice restoration you did on your exhaust manifold very clean work replacing the studs. the studs on mine look pretty rusted in, the threads are good so I don't think I want to try and replace them(I would hate to break one off)
Thanks

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Probably end up breaking the flange if they are to far gone.
That's why I had to build a new flange for the manifold in the
pictures. Apparently someone had tried to remove them
somewhere in the past and broke the flange off.
The new studs I made from SS and used brass nuts on them.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0