The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, Hotrod Lincoln, Millenimech), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,406
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1059698 10/02/2014 1:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
I've been driving the '46 for a few weeks now and the 216 seems to be doing OK. Yesterday I tossed on a load of top soil (it's a 2-ton) and headed out today to deliver it. All went well for the first 10 mies or so. Then she started heating up. I wound up putting over a gallon of water in the radiator and can't see where it might have gone.
When I put the engine in, I filled the radiator with straight water to drive for a while to make sure there are no leaks. I know I need to flush out the system and get some antifreeze in there soon.
What I'm wondering is where did the water go? There is no sign of leakage, no puddle, no steam.
Any ideas of where to look would be helpful. Thanks,

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
You may have a head gasket leaking or possibly a cracked head. I'd start by checking the oil to see if it's milky. You could also take the spark plugs out and look for signs of water in the combustion chamber.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
I checked the oil this morning. Just oil there. The radiator is full, after filling it up and driving 7 +/- miles back home up hill and down with the load still on the truck. Next question: The radiator cap doesn't seem to have the spring tension that the newer ones have and the overflow runs from the top of the radiator, not the fill neck. Does that mean that I have a non-pressurized cooling system? Just wondering if it boiled off?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, usual non pressure setup for 46, and you likely just blew some off after filling too full, a gallon isn't all that much .... what does "started heating up" mean? were you able to actually check the temp, was it pegging the stock gauge, was it steaming ... ?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
The gauge was all the way to the top. It usually runs around 180 or a little less. When I noticed it so hot, I pulled over to let it cool down, but after idling for a few minutes, the temperature didn't move. I had expected it to run a little warmer than usual because I was hauling a heavy load on hilly side roads.
I took off the radiator cap and could see water flowing, but when I shut the engine off, it was quite low.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Most likely event was a siphon occurred. I use a very low pressure cap and a catch bottle. If the bottle fills up I can see where it went. Nothing fancy, mind you just a plastic jug and some safety wire will do. But and this is helpful. When the bottle gets some in it the siphon effect is broken up and stops. If there is no water in the oil. And none in the tailpipe, I think this is what happened. And it is good to remember that steam will push a lot of water in a hurry. One bubble is all it takes. Did you have a weep/steam hole in the thermostat? Last place to look, is under the water pump pulley, if it looks like it was steam cleaned, it probably was. That is about the only other place to look at.


Steve H
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
A year ago,I had the same thing happen to mine. It turned out to be a "steam pocket",somewhere in the block. Luckily,it over-heated about a 1/4 mile from a mechanic friend's place. He started it,and ran water,(from a hose),through the radiator,until the engine cooled off enough to safely remove the cap. He then stuck the hose into the radiator,and held the throttle at about 2,ooo R.P.M.,while squeezing the upper radiator hose,to "burp" the system,of trapped air. After the 20-minute procedure,the "Stat" was drilled with a small hole,to let air escape,to alleviate the problem. It's been running on the "cool" side,ever since. Hope this helps.


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Thanks, Steve and Willy. This truck has no thermostat. Never did with the old engine. It still runs around 180. An air bubble in the system could easily be the answer. I hooked up the heater when I put the cooling system back together and that might have housed a bit of air. I was just puzzled because there was no sign of water anywhere.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Ed,PLEASE check my post on my Excessive crankcase pressure. This was due to a thermostat,that was stuck "open". The oil over- heated,but the valve cover,as well as the radiator were as cold as the surrounding air-about 60 degrees! I'm not an engineer,by any means,but from what I know about internal-combustion engines is that the hotter they operate,the better they perform. That's why a lot of 1/4-mile dirt-track racers remove the fan-less drag,and to get the engines as hot as they can.(That's why you see the "pit crew" throwing buckets of water through the grilles,after a race). I never had any problems with my truck,since I usually drive it during the Summer. The day of my break-down,it was about 60,rainy,and windy. Running down the road at 55 MPH,(in the rain),will cool an engine off in a hurry,without a thermostat. It cost me $200.00,(2-ton), to have mine towed 35 miles! That was the LOWEST bid!! It was NOT a good day!!

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 10/04/2014 6:26 AM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
If you had water running out the overflow line it has been spread over the road and is nowhere to be found. Any spray from that tube would also be gone when you stopped. No thermostat at all? That would make for a very slow warm up indeed, I would put a 160 in it just to keep it stable. 0 pressure cap will still work just fine. I would run it a bit longer with just water to make sure you have no leaks, then go to a good 50.50 antifreeze mix for the cooler weather. And yes the heater can give you a bibble. I have learned to "burp" the system with the top hose. Just takes some time. Squeeze and watch, squeeze and watch. Not a skill as it were. When the water circulates and settles you know you are done. Steam, bubbles are an indication you need to keep squeezing and waiting. Kinda hands on for these old beauties, if you get my drift.


Steve H

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0