The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1054747 09/08/2014 4:27 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
J
JRC
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
I'm finally getting back around to doing some work on my '46 2 ton.

I found a local farm tire shop to break down 2 of my wheels. I have 2 new tires from Nebraska Tire. Now that the old rotted tires are off and the wheels are broken down, I have started cleaning them up. I just finished the first wheel today. I cleaned it pretty well with a wire brush on a drill. Once it was clean, I washed it down with some mineral spirits and then I shot it with some rustoleum primer. After I get the other wheel done, I will paint them both with rustoleum semi-gloss black.

My question is: Do these wheels seem to be in good enough shape to be serviceable? There was a lot of surface rust and rubber on the "inside" portion of the wheels. Is it OK that this is not quite smooth? What is other's experience?

Thanks. I appreciate the feeback.


Last edited by JRC; 09/08/2014 5:02 AM.

1946 Chevrolet 2 ton
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
J
JRC
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6


1946 Chevrolet 2 ton
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy JRC, If there are no cracks and not too much erosion of the metal at the flange and the gutter where the retaining ring seats, and the retaining ring itself is not eroded too much the wheels should be fit to be reused. Inspect all parts carefully for cracks and excessive erosion!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I've seen a lot worse wheels than that in use. I think they will be fine. A tire shop would probably tell you they are junk, but better ones are hard to find. A lot of tire shops will even tell you that 2 or 3 piece wheels are against the law. I suppose you know the precautions to take while inflating them.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Welcome to the "Bolt",JRC!! In your first pic,is that a separation around the area where the tube valve passes through the rim? At least you have 3-piece rims,and not the dreaded "widow-makers. Check others,like 3B suggests.

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 09/09/2014 5:05 AM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Here is some good info on mounting and dismounting and inspecting wheels.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Early tubeless tires on late '50's farm trucks(GM) had that same bolt pattern(10 on 7.25) while rare, can be used on your truck. They are 22.5" which replace 20" tires.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
They look ok to me. Serious pitting in the centre tube area doesnt affect anything much. As above, the important area is where the outer flange piece and lock ring connect, and this area usually has less rust.
Watch for rust heave between the centre dish and the rim, this is bad and will losen rivets and distort the rim. If that join is clean, and there is little runout in the rim, its a good wheel.
Nice truck!


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
They look about the same as the ones I'm now using on my truck. I did body filler on mine both inside and outside. they work fine and hold air fine. I sandblasted mine and did discard two with holes clear through the wheel.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0