| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,138 Members48,435 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 | After 5 years of restoration I am nearing complete of my 37 Chev half ton and have been taking her for a few drives down our local street. However I'm finding changing gears rather challenging. Truck has a 3 speed transmission & original engine plus new clutch. I can change gears at very low revs. Also on up changes (a tap to the accelerator helps) Down changes almost impossible with out a big graunch. Have tried Doubling the clutch. I have a suspicion that a slightly sticky throttle linkage might be not allowing the revs to completely run down to allow easier gear changes Any suggestions http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/37Chev/Truck/20140823_165148_zpsxob0lsta.jpg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the double clutching takes practice for down shifting, but it will help to have the throttle linkage functioning well
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Try different wind up speeds. It may be you are shifting two "soon". Sounds silly, but I had what I thought was a problem and I did that and it was my timing, at least it seemed that way. Sometimes you actually learn how to shift an old truck/new tranny after awhile. Just a thought not scientific. It could easily be that the clutch needs adjusted.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | So the 37 sedan had a synchronized transmission. Did the truck 3 speed have a non synchronized unit?
That is a beautiful truck by the way! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 | May be a long shot - but what gear oil are you using? I had a '48 dodge sedan and thought I was being smart by using synthetic gear oil. With synthetic, I noticed shifting was much touchier and I had to go slower, especially on downshifts. The gears did not slow down as quickly with the synthetic so it took longer to shift. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 65 | Hi Truckernix - yes I believe the truck has Synchro thanks for your comment on the Truck - it was imported to New Zealand new ( Righthand Drive) Last owner had it for 40 years - the only vehicle he has ever had - I bought it of him when he went in to a rest home
Daves46pu - I'm using Hypoid 90
Cheers | | |
| |
| |