The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, RoseB), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1053635 09/03/2014 1:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
After 5 years of restoration I am nearing complete of my 37 Chev half ton and have been taking her for a few drives down our local street. However I'm finding changing gears rather challenging. Truck has a 3 speed transmission & original engine plus new clutch.

I can change gears at very low revs. Also on up changes (a tap to the accelerator helps) Down changes almost impossible with out a big graunch. Have tried Doubling the clutch.

I have a suspicion that a slightly sticky throttle linkage might be not allowing the revs to completely run down to allow easier gear changes

Any suggestions

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/37Chev/Truck/20140823_165148_zpsxob0lsta.jpg

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the double clutching takes practice for down shifting, but it will help to have the throttle linkage functioning well

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Try different wind up speeds. It may be you are shifting two "soon". Sounds silly, but I had what I thought was a problem and I did that and it was my timing, at least it seemed that way. Sometimes you actually learn how to shift an old truck/new tranny after awhile. Just a thought not scientific. It could easily be that the clutch needs adjusted.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Thanks

Den99 #1053749 09/03/2014 12:38 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
So the 37 sedan had a synchronized transmission. Did the truck 3 speed have a non synchronized unit?

That is a beautiful truck by the way!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
May be a long shot - but what gear oil are you using? I had a '48 dodge sedan and thought I was being smart by using synthetic gear oil. With synthetic, I noticed shifting was much touchier and I had to go slower, especially on downshifts. The gears did not slow down as quickly with the synthetic so it took longer to shift.

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Hi Truckernix - yes I believe the truck has Synchro thanks for your comment on the Truck - it was imported to New Zealand new ( Righthand Drive) Last owner had it for 40 years - the only vehicle he has ever had - I bought it of him when he went in to a rest home

Daves46pu - I'm using Hypoid 90

Cheers


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0