The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GRNHydra, Oswald, Southerntruck, 1955 1 Series, Nick in Manitou, Wayne67vert), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
The 3rd gear synchros have given up the ghost in my '57 Chevrolet 6 cylinder. I replaced the original 3 speed with an original R10 borg warner from another '57.

Where would you guys recommend as the best place to buy a kit to rebuild this transmission? I have no idea how to do this but from what I have researched there are detailed instructions online and I'd like to try to tackle it myself.

Thanks

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I'm not sure that you can buy a "kit" to rebuild your transmission. I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning things up and then examine the parts and start sourcing parts based on what you need. Most vendors can help with basic stuff. You can place an ad in the "Parts Wanted" section also.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
I accidentally posted this in the engine section. Sorry about that, it took me forever to find it.

Thanks for the info. I'll repost this in the appropriate place as well.

Thanks,

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
The 2-3 synchronizer assembly is sold as a unit, but it might be possible to just replace the brass blocker rings if the steel shift collar isn't badly worn. Try Todd's Auto Parts on 1st. Avenue North in Nashville. They sort of specialize in old stuff, so if they don't have what you need they can probably steer you in the right direction. While you're there, ask about a "small parts kit" that includes thrust washers, needle bearings, and other stuff necessary to freshen up a tired transmission.

I have the non-OD version of that transmission, and I'd be willing to part with it for a reasonable amount, or maybe some kind of horsetrade. I believe everything ahead of the OD unit is identical, including the synchro. Drop me a PM.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Anaheim Gear here in So Cal was a source for the syncros a couple of years ago but they no longer have them. I get bearings and seals from them and an occasional shaft but that's about it. I rebuild a lot of OD transmissions and my best source is finding regular gear boxes at swap meets and Craigs List to use for parts. There are other wear points for the popping out of third gear problem as well. Worn 2-3 shift fork and the engagement spring on the clutch gear are also problematic. Jerry's offer is probably a good way to go.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Thanks guys. I'll respond in the other forum since it's the correct location for this thread...


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0