The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
I accidentally posted in the wrong section, so I'm going to repost this here:

The 3rd gear synchros have given up the ghost in my '57 Chevrolet 6 cylinder. I replaced the original 3 speed with an original R10 borg warner from another '57.

Where would you guys recommend as the best place to buy a kit to rebuild this transmission? I have no idea how to do this but from what I have researched there are detailed instructions online and I'd like to try to tackle it myself.

Thanks

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Check the other post- - - -I think a non-overdrive trans I've got will have all the parts you need.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Hey Jerry. Thanks. I'm not sure how often or how bad the synchros and other parts wear on these transmission. Should I try to source new parts or do the used ones hold up better? I hope to drive the car much more often once I get the trans working properly again?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I've had my '62 as a daily driver only vehicle with a '62 3sp+od for twelve years before the 3 speed imploded, the od looked great as I took it apart to inspect. Now I've got the all-synchro model, coming up on two years.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I just checked the stash- - - - -mine is a 1959 3 speed Muncie, not a B-W. I'm not sure if the synchros will interchange, but it's doubtful. Give Todd's Auto Parts a try- - - -they have a habit of pulling a rabbit out of the hat pretty regularly. Back when Gardener's Auto Parts was in business, I'm sure they would have that stuff, but they went out of business about 10 years ago when the owner died.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
The transmission section of the 59 (Muncie/4 bolt side cover) and your transmission would be the same. The internal parts are the same. The BW OD section replaces the tail shaft on the stock transmission. With the exception of Corvette's and a couple years of Pontiac's these early transmissions were identical. You can even use parts from the 58 through 67 transmissions with the short tail shaft. Lots of these units out there, I find them all the time.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Thanks, Fred! In that case, I've got at least one, maybe two transmissions available either as parts donors or as complete units that the OD might be grafted onto. I have also acquired a couple of complete torque tube 3-speeds from the 53 or earlier running gear. Glad I've got 100 acres to stash the junk!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A non OD tranny case is almost the same. There is a rod in the OD case you will need to drill a hole for. Check the pics in the rebuild document at Deve's site and you'll see the rod.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Thanks for all the great info, guys. I'll give Todd's a call and see what they can come up with. If they don't have anything I'll get back with you.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
I gave Todd's a call today and the lady that answered said they don't sell any transmission parts.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
The synchros wete the weak part of the old Muncie 3 speeds. Do a search on eBay for Chevrolet synchronizer. They appear quite regularly and expect to pay about $125. A Saginaw is totally different than a Muncie. It uses synchros more similar to what Ford used in their BW transmissions.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0