The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bill Hanlon, Rich'sToys), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,678
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
I have a 1948 3/4 ton chevy truck with a 250 cu inch 6 cylinder, the original harrison radiator 3121499 works well (usual running temp 190 t0 200 ) but has sprung a slow leak out of the back of the core. I think this radiator is a heavy duty radiator used on commercial 3/4 thru 1 1/2 ton trucks, it measures almost 4 inches across the top, my question is it usually cost effective to repair this radiator, it looks pretty good otherwise or would you suggest just getting a new one and if so which would you suggest, I would like to keep this stock radiator if possible with its added cooling capacity since I use it with a trailer in 100 degree heat. also I have found a fan shroud which I plan to install once the leaks taken care of. many thanks

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 212
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 212
If you can find an honest old time Radiator Shop who knows what to do and how to do it, it would be much better just to have this Radiator repaired than to buy a new one.

When I got my 1946 one ton pick up, it had a couple small Radiator Leaks, and I ran a few rounds of radiator Cleaner through it, then i just poured in a few Tablespoons or so of finely ground Black Pepper.

Far as recall, that took care of it, and it stayed fine for the next 25 years of daily use. I do not believe I ever had those leaks 'soldered', the Pepper plugged them up and I think one of them minutely seeped a little sometimes, and that was all.





Last edited by Thriftmaster_Phi; 08/30/2014 8:09 PM.
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
If you gave us an idea of were in TX you are perhaps some bolters from that area can advise on a good radiator shop.


Ed
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
you can have it repaired or have it recored.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks,i am in the central texas austin and kings land area if anyone knows a good radiator shop in that area

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
I had my '55 Harrison flushed,boiled,soldered and painted for $35.00,by a local shop. much cheaper than a new radiator!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0