Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (‘37ChevyPU, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, CuzzFuzz, Shaffer's1950, SlimSix, TrknGMC, 1 invisible),
81
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,451 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 | Good evening bolters! I have searched in vain so Im hoping the infinite wisdom of the collective can help me out. 46 1/5 ton undergoing some renovations and I cannot find a power booster and master cylinder that mounts to the frame. Does one exist? Please let me know who what where etc... I can find them all day for 47 and up but nothing for my poor old 46.
I really do not want to lose my pedals or mount on the firewall
thanks up front | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 217 | Have you checked with Pirate Jack in Asheville NC ?? They have a lot of stuff--got my 51 floor system from them. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Not knowing your truck I am assuming you have hanging pedals. This would make an under floor brake setup very difficult. There is hope...look at www.ecihotrodbrakes.com for their "under dash pedal assemblies". Page 12 in their catalog. They ain't cheap but you said that's what you wanted.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | The 46 1/2 ton peddles would be going through the toeboard. I agree with vettecrazy on checking with PirateJack. I have the set up from them on my 52. They may have just what your looking for and their prices are good. If I remember correctly the address is www.piratejack.net Let us know how you do it. Curious minds want to know. Edit: they show a universal bracket here http://www.piratejack.net/index.php...p.browse&category_id=21&Itemid=6for 80 bucks.
Last edited by Achipmunk; 08/22/2014 6:32 PM. Reason: add information
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 | Correct Achipmunk, they are in the toeborad. I called Pirate Jack and they didnt have anything other than a universal style frame mount pedal assembly that was originally a early 30s ford unit. Speedway also has a similar kit. It seems I may have to go that route...Sigh | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Well, as I said, I don't know your truck but if you have the peddles going thru the toe board it should be a snap. You just need to use your fabrication skills and it's done.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 59 | I also have a 1940 1/2 ton and looking for a frame mount setup. Its boxed in and I guess ill have to buy a universal setup. Under the cab setup would be a cleaner install. run a sleeve through the box and bolt it through the frame and weld it all up.
Barry | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 | Gents, I have purchased the "under the cab" brake and hydraulic set up form ECI. I'm happy with I got but it took some figuring out. I am sad that I didn't play more of a roll in the installation of it but it is what it is and I'll adjust. I did not install the set up but I can speak to what needs to be done. I opt not to have the actual pedals on the swing arm so it is bear. I'm going to use the original peddles. The brake lever was moved to the left because it would hit the bell housing (clutch housing). I had to use a Chevy luv slave cylinder for the clutch. A bracket was modified to mount its as well. The gas tank was removed from under the seat; the brake master cylinder will be filled from a hole cut out from under the original gas tank location. It's still not compete because the truck hasn't move on it's own power for it to cycle the 5 gears. The truck is hibernating for now but it will soon be awaken come next month. My attention was else where during the summer. Photos are provided at your viewing pleasure. photos , folder Bread . EDITED: Question, what trans do you have? I've noticed that most people have an automatic, it takes the hassle out of setting up both brake and clutch.
Last edited by Bread; 08/23/2014 6:22 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | There is no rule that a brake booster/master cylinder has to be mounted in or near the factory location. We have mounted them several feet rearward and used a larger diameter actuator rod (tubing) with a short 3/8 rod at the pedal and booster. On a 31 Plymouth taxi the frame was so narrow there was no room till just in front of the rear axle so we used a bellcrank at the pedal end to convert the rod to a puller and a second bellcrank at the booster to convert back to a pusher. If you google "remote mount brake booster" it shows ones that can be mounted in the trunk or anywhere you have room. IIRC a 57 T-bird with power brakes had the booster by the radiator. The factory mounted master cylinder had a line run to a slave cylinder on the booster that pushed the rod into the booster when you stepped on the brake.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 | Hello again. To answer the transmission question, its a 700r4 behind a 350. It looks like it will be "doable" to fab a universal setup in there somewhere. The watch outs are going to be clearance btwn the transmission and the gas tank which for now at least will be left in its original location. Though i would prefer to keep the original pedals, the universal ones are close enough in appearance that they wont be too much of a concession. Bread, you have done a nice job with your kit and mine should be very similar. I have the next week off so should be able to have everything mocked up and will have exact dimensions to begin fiddling with the brakes.
I failed to divulge my grand plan so ill do it now...The aforementioned 350/700 with a hiedts mII front end power steering and 4x4 s10 rear. SHould be able to have all that installed by weeks end and hopefully have a booster/master/pedal assembly on order. I am photo documenting everything and will link everything to the thread when im done. thanks again for all the advice and let me know of any issues i may have with my gameplan! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 | As life would have it, it took me a little longer to get the m2 front end and drivetrain mocked up.
But i should be able to build the brake and steering and header package this upcoming week (as they all fight for the same space)
Initially it looks like i will have ~10 inches of real estate btwn the trans and inner frame to work with. I am going to go with the pirate jack set up because they are fairly local to me here in N. GA.
Fingers crossed yall!! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 120 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 120 | Hello again. To answer the transmission question, its a 700r4 behind a 350. It looks like it will be "doable" to fab a universal setup in there somewhere. The watch outs are going to be clearance btwn the transmission and the gas tank which for now at least will be left in its original location. Though i would prefer to keep the original pedals, the universal ones are close enough in appearance that they wont be too much of a concession. Bread, you have done a nice job with your kit and mine should be very similar. I have the next week off so should be able to have everything mocked up and will have exact dimensions to begin fiddling with the brakes.
I failed to divulge my grand plan so ill do it now...The aforementioned 350/700 with a hiedts mII front end power steering and 4x4 s10 rear. SHould be able to have all that installed by weeks end and hopefully have a booster/master/pedal assembly on order. I am photo documenting everything and will link everything to the thread when im done. thanks again for all the advice and let me know of any issues i may have with my gameplan! Looking forward to the documentation, I am doing this combo soon on mine and seeing what you do will help  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 | BgHarris, Thanks for the complement. My truck is a slow process. It is like watching a tree grow. Eventually it get there. I have a few repairs to do to maintain the brakes, I'll keep you posted. I also would like to see your completed set up. Keep us posted.
Bread . | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 9 | OK. I am back at the computer. So I purchased the 7" booster/MC/brake pedal kit from pirate jack. It came with a nice mounting tab. After I installed the V8 and 700r4, I dropped the cab back on there and located the brake pedal. It is going to fit with only slight modification...the mounting bracket will need to be "shimmed" inboard about 1.5" and move up (not fwd) 1/2". It will then be centered in the previous location and will swing past the valve cover and header. BTW those are the biggest watch outs for interference. I am likely going to use a recessed boxing plate or square bar to "shim" out my kit.
I know this topic has been frustrating for many people including myself, but i am happy to say that it can be done with off the shelf parts and without too many modifications.
Ill get pics of the installed assembly when i get the cab back on | | |
| |