Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,660 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | I've got a 4X6 beam 8' long over my garage doorway. Do you think that would handle lifting a 235? I know they are pretty heavy.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 367 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 367 | No. Lots of factors but 700 lbs exceeds the shear limit of that dimension at that span (if memory serves me right). | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I assume it's wood or you would not be asking. Also assume the 6" side is vertical. Big chance to take. No one knows the age, where the knots are, internal rot/termites, type of wood, and as said, there are load limits for wood on the net..... If I were you I would get a cherry picker and a stand. Money well spent. New cherry picker or cylinder and a used stand. I use the picker for all kinds of stuff to save my back.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 | Take it outside and use an "engineered" tree branch in the yard. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | Hey Brad, is that a 1 or 2 ton you have. The 1 ton is on sale for $180 and the 2 ton on sale for $230. I like your $120 much better
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | I just ordered a 2-ton that looks like Brad's picture. $239 free delivery. I'll let you know how it goes. Wifey says better investment than dr. bill and garage construction.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 | Brad, forget about all the talk of the hoist. Is that engine on the hoist in your pic, in original paint? (Note to mod. I used the word hoist twice to stay on topic  )
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Mine is the 2-ton model, I collected one of their 30% off e-mail only coupons. The engine was completely original to this serial number on the title (and the 2' crack under the manifolds in the block). I purchased it from the original owner family. https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/9035376513/in/set-72157631867396207I didn't think there was any paint left on it? The new engine is a 54' the PO painted. Good call on getting something instead of the beam we don't want anyone to get hurt working on a bolt! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | My new cherry picker worked like a champ! Looks well made. Time will tell. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | Not very practical, but if you can put some strong verticals (pipe, tube, cinder blocks) under the 8' span 2' from each side (open span is now 4') the lifting strength is 8 × as much. | | |
| |