The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (frogfarmer, Jon G, MickeyP, Mike B, MaxStewart, Ricks Big Dump), 73 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,642
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1047030 08/04/2014 9:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I've got a 4X6 beam 8' long over my garage doorway. Do you think that would handle lifting a 235? I know they are pretty heavy.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
No. Lots of factors but 700 lbs exceeds the shear limit of that dimension at that span (if memory serves me right).

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I assume it's wood or you would not be asking. Also assume the 6" side is vertical. Big chance to take. No one knows the age, where the knots are, internal rot/termites, type of wood, and as said, there are load limits for wood on the net..... If I were you I would get a cherry picker and a stand. Money well spent. New cherry picker or cylinder and a used stand. I use the picker for all kinds of stuff to save my back.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
Take it outside and use an "engineered" tree branch in the yard.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Bought this at HF for $120 on sale a few years back, I think they are still in that range. Proof is here you can see it will do it. I would not chance the beam at this kind of money. Think about if it fails, garage, engine, leg all hang in the balance.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129078353/in/set-72157631867396207


Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Hey Brad, is that a 1 or 2 ton you have. The 1 ton is on sale for $180 and the 2 ton on sale for $230. I like your $120 much better

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I just ordered a 2-ton that looks like Brad's picture. $239 free delivery. I'll let you know how it goes. Wifey says better investment than dr. bill and garage construction.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
Brad, forget about all the talk of the hoist. Is that engine on the hoist in your pic, in original paint? (Note to mod. I used the word hoist twice to stay on topic smile )


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Mine is the 2-ton model, I collected one of their 30% off e-mail only coupons. The engine was completely original to this serial number on the title (and the 2' crack under the manifolds in the block). I purchased it from the original owner family.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/9035376513/in/set-72157631867396207
I didn't think there was any paint left on it? The new engine is a 54' the PO painted. Good call on getting something instead of the beam we don't want anyone to get hurt working on a bolt!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
My new cherry picker worked like a champ! Looks well made. Time will tell. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Not very practical, but if you can put some strong verticals (pipe, tube, cinder blocks) under the 8' span 2' from each side (open span is now 4') the lifting strength is 8 × as much.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0