The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, burgundybolt, Jack Ryan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1045817 07/30/2014 5:19 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Installed new fuel guage,new wire harness, new sending unit. Turn on ign. and wire from switch to gauge got hot and melted the insulation. Any ideas?

ROB51 #1045863 07/30/2014 3:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
need to get out the ohmeter and start checking, sounds like a dead short somewhere, maybe you have the wires reversed on the gauge - and that would probably have killed the new gauge

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
So then which side of the gauge is the hot wire to go to?

ROB51 #1051091 08/22/2014 1:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Crafty1,

This might depend on the year/gauge.

Many original gauges have a red warning tag around the sender post (I think) - warning not to attach the power source to that lead.

I think that Advance Design trucks (47-55) gauges have the sender-lead behind the "Empty" side of the gauge?

ROB51 #1051113 08/22/2014 4:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
There should be a wiring diagram on this site. Find out for sure which post the "Hot" wire goes. Then even if the other wire is dead grounded it should not hurt the gage. If then the power wire gets hot, then you have a short in the gauge or a ground to the hot post of the gauge. I think my 57 goes to FULL when the sending wire is dead grounded. It has a spade plug to the gage, so I cannot explain which post is the hot post, but I think it is the one behind "empty" as mentioned above.

Last edited by Old GMC Gold; 08/22/2014 4:15 PM.

57 GMC LCF 370
55 John Deere 40-W
59 John Deere 430-W
2000 GMC 4x4
56 John Deere 420-W
Pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Yeah, I have that little red scrap of paper there and only the black arrow and hot can me made out. So naturally I connected the hot wire there. Another blown gauge. I could not be more frustrated with this. This should not be frickin rocket science. This is the third blown gauge. I should have just replaced all this ancient crap with Dolphin gauges and called it good. I would have had less money in it. I cant believe with all the good info and knowledge on this site I cant get the answers needed to wire one little Chinese crap gauge. SOrry. Just blowing steam.

ROB51 #1051719 08/25/2014 4:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What answers were not able to get ?

ROB51 #1051786 08/25/2014 1:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Hi Tim, Cant seem to get a straight answer on which post is hot. I suspect now that there is a short in the wire from the tank to the gauge causing a problem. I will pull the bed wood tonight to access the tank (48) Still not sure exactly which post to put the wire on a 12 volt gauge. Some say E side some say F side. I will work out the sending unit issue and then try again. Classic parts are out of gauges for now. Guess I cleaned them out! LOL The truck had ugly autometer gauges when I got it and I would like to put it back to a more classic look. Have had really bad luck with the old style gauges and speedo. This is the last attempt. after this I pop for Dolphin gauges.

ROB51 #1051828 08/25/2014 5:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

DADS50 #1051905 08/25/2014 11:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks for such a good clear picture Gus. I better run out and double check mine. Steve

ROB51 #1051914 08/26/2014 12:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 22
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 22
I have two after market 12 volt fuel gauges. They are both stamped on the back. Sending unit on the full side. 12 volt power on the empty side. Like DADS50 shows. Of course I read this after I took someones advice and hooked them up backwards and fried both. I ordered the third one yesterday.


When setting goals in life. Always aim low to avoid disappointment
ROB51 #1051921 08/26/2014 12:25 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 152
i wired mine up the wrong way but it didnt fry my gauge so its not always a given.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0