Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, klhansen, GRNHydra, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, Opelika Tom),
84
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | New 7 wire working great except...My 3 wire flasher does not work with the blue wire to 'P' connection, I mean the indicator lights on the unit do not work. The only thing I can add is that my flasher has different locations from the flasher pictured in the instructions. Their flasher has 'L' at 12 o'clock, 'P' at 5 o'clock and 'X' at 7 o'clock, Mine has the poles in different locations. Help appreciated.
PS my old manual-cancelling unit did not work (signal flasher on the unit housing) either. Same flasher. I tried different flashers but the poles were in the same position as above, same result. Thanks
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | assuming the flasher pins are actually marked, orientation doesn't matter, the function will be the same - try checking the flasher pins with a meter, for continuity at rest and voltage in action, I believe L and P alternate hot when working, that is the pilot light actually blinks between the signaling light blink .... and don't depend on the colors for connections to the flasher, use the letter markings
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | I used the letter markings from the beginning. I actually had the same results with 3 flasher cans of identical pin placement. The flashers, R+L, Emergency all work flawlessly, just the little lamp on the indicator light does not light.
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | same flasher socket as before? bad pin, not making proper contact? I'd do the meter checks right at the flasher socket, if the pilot isn't working, likely you're not getting power at the P pin of the flasher, reasons can only be bad socket, bad flasher, wrong [2 pin] flasher
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | Not using a pigtail, individual fasteners to each pole of flasher contact. On a three pin flasher where are the red and black contacts of the mutimeter placed to check for continuity?
Thanks,
Cosmo
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 | The indicator on mine didn't work at first. I think it needs to ground to the mast tube and if the paint is too thick, it will actually insulate it electrically. After I fussed with mine and wiggled it around some, it has worked fine. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 212 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 212 | Mine stops blinking on the left turn when brakes are applied. If you fiddle with the arm and get it in just the right place it will start to work again sometimes. This is the second turn signal unit from obsolete Chevrolet and both have done the same. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | I just bought a 7-wire Grote unit,and I wired it into my A.A.W. fuse block,(grounded to the mast). The unit called for a 3-prong flasher-I got GREAT results with a 2-prong. If you wire for the dash indicators,(my choice),I was told not to use the "P"(pilot) unit indicator wire. This could result in your turn signals looking like a railroad crossing. I used a "Hot" lead,not an ignition/accessory. That way,I may use my 4-ways without having to worry about "did I leave the blower running"? scenario,in case of a break-down. Did you try your bulb connection in the unit? it may have worked loose during shipping. Take your time,and check each wire for continuity as you go. If you lose patience,it's better to stop,and come back later. It took me 3 days,Grote tech said one thing,A.A.W. tech said another! Finally figured it out for myself!(P.I.T.A.),but I "got'Er Done".
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 07/26/2014 5:15 AM.
| | |
| |