The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103730 02/03/2003 4:06 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
I ran into a snag when trying to bolt the box up an a 51 3100 short box.On one side the upper frame rail that the wood block holding the back right corner of the box up is rusted and broken off just past where the block would sit.What guage steel is used on the frame and what is the best method of repair.


1942 1\2 Ton
1951 1\2 Ton 55 willys cj-5
1954 and 59 Cushman Scooter
1960 Biscayne Sedan
1965 G/10 panel van
1966 C/30 Grizzly Motorhome
You know you're a 'Bolter when your daily driver is older than you are...
My progress pics
#103731 02/05/2003 5:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
I have been going through the same thing, w/ many different oppinions on repairing methods, I had to cut a small section out of mine, and was able cut a patch out of an extra rear cross member I had. The gage appears to be 10ga if I am correct, I measured mine on one of the rear legs w/ a gauge. I cut mine out fitted the replacement section and then beveled the edges of both the patch and the chassis. I welded it in place w/ my Mig welder. I was talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned heating this area up before one welded w/ a Mig to get better penetration, I do not know if this is true?

#103732 02/05/2003 7:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Mine was the lower rail that rusted out and I just welded in a piece of 1/8" angle iron (2" IIRC) as reinforcement.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0