Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
82
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,378 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 9 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 9 | What is a fair price for 4 used 16 inch Firestone bias ply tires for my 1946 1/2 ton truck? I found a set but they are $400. Seems high to me, but I don't know much about used tire prices. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Bobby
Last edited by Leciant; 06/03/2014 12:47 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | That is a good price if they are mounted on original rims. For just the tires, it isn't a good deal for you IMHO.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I bought 4 new Firestone bias-ply a few years back for $600 delivered to me in Canada. If the tires you are looking at are old original ones you won't be too happy I don't think. The new ones are made from a different compound and I am happy with mine. On tires. I just bought 4 "noname" tires for my Malibu at $561 installed, balanced and new valves plus taxes and more taxes. Don't know how good they will be but my others lasted 10 years and the sidewalls went. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 | What is your life worth? Use that as a guide.I would not pay a lot for used bias ply tires after riding on radials. Just my opinion. Jerry
Last edited by 1951Chevy1Ton; 06/03/2014 5:26 AM.
Jerry
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | You will have to get them mounted and balanced and no guarantee or known actual condition. BRAND new in NC at Discount Tire, BFGoodrich size 235/75R16 (about 30" tall) Out the door with all confidence, balanced, new valve stems, lifetime rotation. $528. (sometimes you can actually get a little better price by asking) A no brainer. You may not get your used ones on, balanced and stems for less. I have bought every tire there for about 40 years. Buy used/internet/guy with short cigar and see what trouble you have if something goes wrong! For $62 more...lifetime repair or replacement anytime, anywhere, any kind of tire damage or flat.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | only "fair" price for used bias tires would be the seller paying you to take them off his hands  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Radials expire sooner than bias ply tires, even though date code OK, hidden breaks on radials can soon develop into lumps, etc. I say save your $ and get good, new tires, the risk is too great.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | A two or three year old tire with good tread would be OK around town at under 45 MPH or for rollers. But not for $400. and not if older. Keep shopping.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 9 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 9 | Thanks everyone, This was a huge help. I am going to keep my money and shop around for some new ones. Thanks again! | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Radials expire sooner than bias ply tires, . I've never heard that before. Can't see any possible reason it would make any difference what the tire ply construction was if the rubber compound is the same. As far as longevity, a radial tire will outlast a bias ply by at least a 10:1 margin, the technology is far superior in a radial tire.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I have run nothing but radials on my trucks for almost 30 years. I always said I had over 200 tires on the ground at all times However, number is less now because just about all of my bulk fleet is on 445x50x22.5 which saves about 900 lbs per rig. However, I make sure no carcases are over 4 years old because radials will begin blowing out at around 4 years. And that includes tires on storage trailers. They blow out just sitting there and do a lot of damage. For my old vehicles that I don't drive much, I prefer bias tires. I have some 30 year old tires on my old vehicles and don't worry about them. I recently bought a set of 7.00x18 tires that were 25 years old for $100 for all 6 tires, tubes and flaps. And I was glad to get them. $100 each for used 16" tires is outlandish, but on a vehicle that I don't drive much, I prefer bias. They just don't blow out from sitting around like radials do. On the other hand, the speed limit on IH10 here is 80 and I run nothing but Michelin radials on my trucks as well as daily driver pickups. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | EXACTLY what Ken said, Radials of any make and any size will blow out for no good reason at any time,after 3 yrs. Have had it happen to me on a drive tire on my 96 Mack. Blew the stainless steel 1/2 fender right off the truck and mangled both brackets into twisted junk,and the truck was PARKED. First time,I was re cabbing my 76 4x4 chevy that I bought new, Had the nose and cab off,with a week lay over,in the hot sun,its sitting in the driveway,in front off the garage door,went in to get the new cab mounts/bolts and heard a very low hiss,pop sort of a very slow unzipping sound. Walking back out I watched the left front tire literally unzip like a suitcase and explode right in front of Me. Ducked just in time as a piece of tread flew past and took the down spout and 3 shingles off the corner off the garage. That one will give You Religion REAL Quick,if not a bowel movement. steve sr. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Radials of any make and any size will blow out for no good reason at any time,after 3 yrs. That's simply not true. There had to be some sort of casing damage, possibly combined with improper inflation, or perhaps a poorly done retread for that to happen. A sound casing will not "blow out" without a reason, regardless of construction. The issues with tire age, which apply to both radial and bias construction, have more to do with the age of the rubber itself. Even then, a properly maintained tire can go much farther than the 4 years that the RMA suggests.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | Believe it...My buddy put 4 new radials on his boat trailer 4 or 5 yrs ago, it hasn't been in the water for years, when he went to move it recently 3 of the 4 tires had exploded, while parked inside his shop. These tires have never been on the road, except 7 miles straight home from the tire store. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | There's so much more to consider than just age. Quality of the tire manufacturer to begin with is huge, then how they have been used, mileage, weight while sitting, sitting in direct sunlight, temperature extremes, etc.
I've got BFG radials on my hot rod Model A that were installed December of 1997 (17 years old) that have less than 5,000 miles on them, have been inside my garage out of direct sunlight except when I'm driving it and they have had tire dressing put on them numerous times. I drove it just the other day and they are fine... | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | in the 22 years I've worked in the tire business, I've never seen a tire simply blow out like that without some sort of casing damage, usually a run flat/underinflation issue. Sometimes, you will find defective casings, especially with some of the imported stuff. There was a problem with imported trailer tires doing just that. But to generalize that radials will fail after 4 years without some sort of casing damage simply is not true.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | "But to generalize that radials will fail after 4 years without some sort of casing damage simply is not true." I am not saying that they all will fail, but I have had Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone, and Continental to blow out on storage trailers. These are not cheap imports. We can usually tell when they are about to blow out because the tire starts growing which indicates that the belts are separating from the bead. We try to deflate them before they blow. I have about a dozen storage trailers, and I wish I could find bias tires to put on them. Some might blow in 4 years, some 14 years. I doubt that you would observe this in a tire shop. I have about 30 trailers listed on my insurance policy and have about a dozen storage trailers. | | |
| |