The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1032412 05/31/2014 5:40 AM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 22
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 22
Hello all, new member here. I currently own a fully restored 55.2 1/2 ton with a 235 and all the typical engine goodies.
I was about to pull the trigger on a 55.2, 1 1/2 or 2 ton, not really sure cause here in Canada it's called a 1500. It's a dually with 14,000 lb GVW and a tilt flatdeck. Engine is what appears to be the original 265 V8, offset bolt holes on the valve covers, correct vacuum hose routing and check valves from the oil bath air cleaner etc., canister oil filter and so on.
The transmission is a Muncie 420 with a PTO and driveshaft going to the frame mounted hydraulic pump. Twin cylinders are tucked up roughly above the one speed rear diff. I didn't have a tape with me so I couldn't measure the wheelbase accurately, but it was 4 big paces so I guess it is the 154 inch.
There is absolutely no paint on it, it is completely rust patina. However, the only actual rust through is on the rear bottoms of the front fenders, headlight eyebrows and a hole in the roof. The rockers, doors and inside steps are solid.
The huge holdback for me are the wheels. All six wheels are RH5 Widowmakers with rotted tires. They are 10 X 7.25 with 5.25 hub pilot 20 inchers. I have searched high and low and there are ZERO wheels available around here that I can find.
The only option appears to be new Accuride 19.5 X 6 but available 19.5 skinny tires are too short to match the 7.21? gears. I need to go more than 40 MPH.
The other option are the Rickson custom 19.5 X 7.5 wheels with 35" 285/70R19.5 tires that are insanely expensive. I don't even know if tires that wide will fit in a dually configuration on the rear of this rig. Has anyone tried it?
The wheels alone are $300 each plus shipping to Canada and tires in that size run about $400 to $500 each. That's at least $3,600 for wheels and tires for a truck I don't even know if it runs.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any input regarding the series designation of a Canadian "1500" would be great. Sorry, I didn't write down the VIN.
If I don't respond right away it's because the forum keeps vaporizing my Log In. I understand it's a problem that appears randomly.
Thanks!

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
If it's a '55 2nd series,it SHOULD have the 10-bolt wheels. In '56,the rims were changed to the 6-bolt,which are mostly RH5's It sounds like yours is a 1-1/2-ton.If you could find a P 30 bread truck,or motorhome, the wheels share the same bolt pattern.I've seen them with both the 10-bolt and 6-bolt configurations. I've seen "taller tires on the 19.5 rims,comparable to 7:25 X 20:00's. Hopefully a "Bolter" closer to home may be able to help you in your search. I own a '55 T.F. 6500,and I LOVE it!! Good Luck!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
GM used the 10 hole Motor Wheel hub for a long time after 55 and not all of them were the the the Firestone design. 6 Hole stud piloted was an option. Many of the were the Goodyear design had a lock ring and there was also a 3 piece design. These wheels will take either a 7.50 or 8.25 x 20 tire which is readily available in the US. There are a lot of old GM bobtails in barns in the Dakotas. I don't know if there are are still any border crossings there with no customs. I haven't been there in quite a while. Quite often a whole bob tail field truck with 6 servicable wheels can be bought for less than $1,000 and the cab will fit a pickup.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I have heard of guys having issues with 19.5 wheels not fitting over the brake drums. As Kenneth mentions the wheels are not as hard as you think to find. Take some time and look around and you will find some.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0