Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,345 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | After spending the past few weeks under my dash I've decided to toss this monster brand X heater. This thing looks like it came out of a Mack truck or a Greyhound bus, with three huge mounting studs through firewall plus the two water lines.
I need recomendations for a replacement, NOS or repro? Wood stove? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | which truck? 'repro' usually means aftermarket brand Z, maybe you're looking for a decent original for the year to rebuild
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | This is for my '53 3600. Re. an original, does anyone make a quality replacement core??? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | core availability would depend on which model heater you find, Carter has a couple different cores that should be good, and likely other vendors as well
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Brad, I'm finding these heaters on ebay, everything from a rusty hulk to finished ready to install. After also checking out price for new cores I'm thinking a restored unit may be the way to go.
Wondering if controls, cables etc are being reproduced? Not seeing much of those parts for sale. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I've seen two types that look similar in that they both attach to the opening in the kick panel. One has a door the other does not, I'm thinking go without the door and save having to locate the valve/cable etc etc.
I do have the HEAT switch, I grab those when I see them. Thanks again for the input. Jim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | Check your local swap meets, I find the standard heaters for sale, in the $15-20 range most of the time. Just pickup up a nice, clean one last month. So, if you need parts, keep looking!
Mike | | |
| |