The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, Guitplayer, Wally / Montana), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
I am getting ready to remove the cab from my 46 chevy 3/4 ton and would like to unfasten the steering mast from the gear housing. Is there an easy way other than taking off the gear box from the frame and removing pitman arms and the other related stuff. I can fiddle with the gear box and linkage later as I merely want to get the steering wheel and it's shaft our of my way so I can unbolt the cab and remove it to a dolly.
thanks,
lane


sweetpealane
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
It comes out as an assembly. No shortcuts unfortunately.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Quote
I can fiddle with the gear box and linkage later as I merely want to get the steering wheel and it's shaft our of my way so I can unbolt the cab and remove it to a dolly.
You can remove the cab without removing the steering and pedals.
Unbolt the cab, dash braces, take loose the wires, remove the toe & floor board and lift the cab off the truck.
Cab off frame

Harold

Last edited by Harold46; 05/06/2014 11:14 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 224
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 224
I removed the whole gearbox , no big pro. I was told to remove the steering mask was not the best way .


" STUCK IN THE '50'S "
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
thanks everyone for your input .... I plan to get 4 men and lift the cab just enough to clear the rear wheels and put it on a dolly nearby (I saw this done on AD truck in a video on the bolt) ..... everything else is off the truck and out of the cab, except for the steering wheel which would make it harder to lift over without a hoist .... again, thanks

lane


sweetpealane
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Loosen the frame mounts on the steering gear box along with the under dash mount. This will let the mast lay down so the you don't need to lift the cab as high to clear the shaft.

joe


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0